Chapter 12

A blazing fire lit up the hall. Not only did the flames not emit much warmth, but it also did little to reveal the splendor of the room. It was a room overshadowed by a dark feeling, by a presence that radiated power and the urge to destroy.

A handsome man, looking as though he were in his late twenties, paced the room. His brown eyes, almost black, had a hard glint in them. His blond hair seemed too bright a color compared to the dark clothes he wore. His very presence seemed to scream danger and with every step he moved like a tiger, prowling restlessly back and forth in its cage, a tiger that wanted to be let loose.

A door opened, and a cloaked figure hurried into the room. The pacing man stopped and watched with disdain written on his face as the figure approached him, head bent in submission.

"What news?" the blond haired man demanded as the other kneeled before him. His grating voice made the second man visibly shake.

"The Dragon of Legend–"

"Do not call him that!" the blond haired eyes snapped.

His subject cowered in fear.

"The white dragon, my lord," his subject corrected himself, the cloak hiding his face, "has indeed appeared. He is at the Academy as we speak."

"And his rider?"

The subject paused, as though trying to find words that would keep his master's anger at bay. "He...he had already chosen one before he came to the Academy."

There was a moment of silence before the next question was asked in a cold tone. "The rider, who is he?"

"A mere girl, my lord. She can be no older than sixteen summers at the most."

There was a moment's pause during which the blond haired man let the information sink in. Then, he began to laugh. It was not a joyful laugh, but a cruel and mocking one.

"A girl?" he chuckled, "A young one at that. And not even from the Academy! What is the dragon thinking?" Seeming to suddenly remember his subject, his laughter cut off. "Go," he commanded. "Find out all you can about this new rider. I want to know her every move."

Without a word the figure on the ground got to his feet and hurried from the room.

A rider that is not from the Academy? Has he given up altogether? A large dragon stepped out from the shadows. His scales were pitch black and his yellow eyes were filled with hunger, hunger for blood.

"No, Fury." The man turned away, a frown on his face. "The white dragon always has a reason as to why he chooses the rider he does. Remember how annoying the last one was?"

He just wouldn't die, Fury replied with a growl.

"But he did in the end." The man said with satisfaction. "We even got his dragon before him. Though I must say, I did quite enjoy the challenge."

The new pair sound like easy prey, Fury's nostrils smoked as he spoke. Why not just go now and take care of them like we did of the rest? Every moment we let them live they become stronger.

"You're no fun. Patience, Fury," the man sighed. "You'll get your chance. For now we should find out what we can about the new white dragon and rider. I think we should have a meeting with them. It would be interesting to get to know this girl before we show her the way to the afterlife."

Haven't you ever heard not to play with your prey?

The man chuckled. "It's the long hunts that are interesting.

And yet they often are the most dangerous. Fury's eyes glittered in the firelight.

The man simply smiled as he turned to stare at the flames in the fireplace. Things are going to get interesting again.