Chapter 38 (final)

The Academy towered above the clouds, its walls standing firm. The courtyard, usually buzzing with activity, stood empty. The hallways, filled with riders in the past, only had a few roaming through them. The stables were unusually quiet. The Academy was emptier than it had ever been; the battle had taken its toll.

Yet, despite the absence of many riders and dragons, there was a calm feeling in the air that had not been there before.

Brandon stood by a window, staring out at the view before him. There were more white hairs on his head than ever before. The lines on his face, once shallow, were now etched more deeply.

A door to one end of the room opened. "The battle has aged you, I see."

Brandon turned to find Kramer standing there. His dark brown eyes were filled with warmth.

"What brings you here?" Brandon asked. "Did the council send you?"

"I came on my own," Kramer replied.

Brandon nodded. He turned back to the window.

"The Academy suffered heavy losses." Kramer came to stand beside Brandon. The two gazed at the courtyard below. "If only we had..."

"It could have been worse. We might have lost the battle."

Kramer didn't reply.

"I meant to thank you, old friend," Brandon turned to face him, "for helping me convince the others to send the graduates."

Kramer shook his head. "My one regret is that we couldn't convince them sooner." He ran a hand through his hair. "For your losses...I'm sorry."

Brandon raised a hand. He shook his head. "We knew the consequences when we left."

Kramer didn't reply.

"How is the pursuit going?" Brandon asked.

Kramer turned and leaned against the wall. "We're rounding them up bit by bit. Ransworth is to be re-opened to hold them."

Brandon nodded. "It's not over yet...from living in fear to sudden freedom...there are bound to be those who will take advantage of the situation."

"We have raiders active already," Kramer revealed.

"As to be expected."

"The graduates will handle them."

Brandon nodded. He let out a sigh. "I can't believe it's been a week."

"How's the Academy doing?" Kramer asked.

"It's quiet. Classes haven't resumed yet." Brandon walked over to a desk. It was filled with parchments. "We're preparing to admit new students at the end of the next full moon."

"Many applicants?"

"Considering the situation, yes."

There was a moment of silence.

"How about Akira?"

A smile spread across Brandon's face. He turned back to the window. "Gaining more strength every day. You can be certain she'll be giving the council a few headaches along the way."

"I'm sure."

There was another moment of silence.

Kramer broke it. "He really chose well," he began softly, "the dragon I mean."

Brandon stood before the window once more. "He chose a rider not based on strength but on her heart." His smile widened. "He chose a true Rider of Legend."