Chapter 26

Haiden paced the floor in front of his large throne. It was made from the finest metal from the forges deep within the mountains, melted with dragon fire to give it a shimmering black tinge. The shape of a green dragon curled around it, its tail acting as a footstool and its head peeking off to the side at the top. There was a snarl etched onto its face.

The throne had been designed by Haiden himself not long after he had killed the first white dragon and his rider. It was meant to be a sign of his supremacy, but at the moment it seemed to mock him as he walked past.

From the shadows, Fury watched his rider pace.

Another defeat, Haiden thought moodily. I sent more. Perhaps not as experienced...but still, that they would get defeated this easily... He growled in frustration.

Without warning, the large door at the end of the room burst open.

Rage flicked across Haiden's face at this unannounced intrusion. He turned to blast the unfortunate rider who dared to disturb him. However, the words died on his lips as two armed riders walked in, dragging a limp figure between them. It was a figure dressed in white from head to toe. Fury got to his feet, his eyes gleaming.

"I've brought you a present," a voice purred from the doorway.

Haiden lifted his eyes to find himself looking at a stunning blonde. She could be no more than eighteen summers and had the most intriguing green eyes; eyes filled with a look of deep satisfaction as she leaned against the doorframe. She had an air of confidence not many dared to carry into Haiden's presence. Were it not for the figure being dragged in, Haiden would have made sure to crush that arrogance.

Turning his gaze back to the figure between the riders, Haiden nodded. In response, one of the riders grabbed hold of the helmet that covered the person's head. Ripping the helmet off, he let it fall to the ground where it landed with a resounding 'clang'.

As black hair tumbled out, Haiden sucked in his breath. In a few strides, he was standing in front of the unconscious figure. His hands, which trembled ever so slightly with excitement, reached down and lifted the chin. He stared into a face he knew all too well.

"Well, well." A smile spread across his face. He lifted one of the figure's eyelids only to see that those clear blue eyes were now a milky gray. "It's Akira in the flesh." He let go of her chin and watched as her unconscious head dropped back down.

Glee filled him, yet Haiden made sure not to show it as he straightened up. He turned his eyes back to the blonde. She wore a yellow suit with a black dragon on her back; it marked her as a student at the only Academy not under Haiden's control.

What would lead her to betray the others? Fury's curious voice asked in Haiden's mind. The black dragon had shifted to get a better look at the Rider of Legend.

"Congratulations," Haiden told the blonde. "You've brought me quite a prize. Though, the Dragon of Legend himself would have been more preferred."

"He is not so easily tricked," the girl replied. Her eyes flashed at the fact that there was some criticism in Haiden's voice.

"No, he isn't," Haiden chuckled. "Yet you managed to take his rider from him."

"When it comes to his rider, he is a fool." The girl sounded bored.

"What made you bring her here?" Haiden asked making her frown.

"I got tired of rooting for the losing side," the blonde girl informed him. "It's obvious. They're not going to win; they never have. Yet for some reason they keep hoping like a lost draglin in the dark; they're pitiful. It's ridiculous that the Dragon of Legend chose to hang on to a cripple as his rider." She shot a scornful look at Akira.