Chapter 17

The room Akira stood in was small. An oak desk, in front of which Akira was standing, stood at one end of the room with a window behind it. One side of the wall was covered with shelves, filled with scrolls, the other was bare. A table, with a map of the Lands stretched out on it, stood in the middle of it all.

Brandon, who was sitting in a wooden chair behind the desk, stared at Akira intently while she nervously played with her fingers. Re-telling her dream to Brandon made her realize how odd it sounded. A person entering someone else's dream? It wasn't exactly a usual occurrence, in fact, she had never heard of it before.

Redemption and Destiny, who stood outside and yet had listened closely through her mind, were silent. Both dragons seemed lost in thought.

"Well I never..." Brandon murmured. His eyes were clouded with worry. "So he wants to come to the Academy." There was no tone of doubt doubt about Akira's story in his voice. With his chin placed on one hand, and his forehead wrinkled, he looked deep in thought, as though trying to figure something out. He looked up. "Is that all there is?"

Akira nodded.

It was then that, without even a warning knock, the door abruptly flew open. Akira jumped, and even Brandon looked somewhat surprised at the manner of entry. Turning, Akira caught sight of a young rider. He looked out of breath and his eyes were wide.

"It's Haiden," he gasped sounding as though he had flown up the stairs instead of using the lift. "He's been spotted leading a group of riders. They're coming towards the Academy!"

Akira felt the blood drain from her face. Hearing someone actually confirm it made it all the more real.

He's already on the move, she heard Destiny's solemn voice in her mind as both her dragons listened in.

"I am aware of the fact," Brandon replied. How he managed to keep his cool surprised Akira.

The rider who had rushed in looked surprised. "Sir, wh..."

"How long?" Brandon cut him off. When the rider didn't reply Brandon let out a frustrated sigh. "How long do we have before they get here?"

Before the rider could reply, Levi rushed into the room. "Out of the way," he ordered the other rider as he strolled past. He shot a look towards Akira before he walked up to Brandon. "There's no sign of foot soldiers or horsemen."

Brandon nodded as though that were expected.

It would be a waste. With the Academy being on a cliff it's hard to access without a dragon, Destiny explained for Akira's sake.

"At the pace the group is moving..." Levi paused to consider his answer carefully, "I would say we can expect them a little after noon."

Half a day? Akira felt as though the air had been sucked from her chest. Even Brandon looked shocked. The young rider, who had come in before, looked from Brandon to Levi.

How can it take them only half a day? Akira thought in panic. That's too soon!

Brandon seemed to be thinking the same thing. "They've been on the move for at least a day then," he noted.

That good for nothing... The end of Redemption's sentence was cut off as Destiny loudly coughed into Akira's mind. It was a habit she seemed to have whenever Redemption's thoughts got a bit out of control. That means he was already heading towards the Academy when he met you in your dream, Akira heard Redemption finish off.

So, he was planning on coming here all along? Akira's was shocked at the realization.

She felt Redemption fuming. In other words, he was never planning to let you go in the first place.