Chapter 30

Haiden sat sprawled on his throne. His legs were thrown over one armrest as he gazed down at the spot where Akira lay in a pool of blood. She wasn't moving, yet he knew it was not because she was dead. No, while she was close to death, she had become unconscious once again; this time even the cold water failed to bring her back.

The riders beside her looked at each other uncertainly as they shifted, waiting for the order on what to do next. Haiden didn't say anything to them as he continued to stare at Akira. It irked him at how she had held on this long without giving in. There was a determination within her he had not seen in many. No matter what he did, she refused to willingly call her dragon.

It shouldn't be possible, especially for someone as young as her, Haiden thoughts. And yet she has resisted this far.

She seems to have resigned herself to her fate, Fury's thoughts infiltrated his own. The black dragon lay with his head resting next to Haiden's feet. His eyes were closed so that he looked fast asleep; as though bored from the torture that he had witnessed.

Haiden snorted. He nodded at one of the riders who responded by making a move to grab Akira's arms.

Fury's eyes shot open and he lifted his head. He's on the move.

"Wait!" Haiden barked at the rider who was pulling Akira up. The rider froze. Ignoring him, Haiden turned to look at his dragon, his eyes narrowed. Are you sure?

Fury nodded.

"So," Haiden got to his feet, a gleam of triumph in his eyes, "He has finally decided to come for his rider. I was beginning to think that she was worthless to him."

It looks like he'll be bringing along some company, Fury added.

"I doubt the council would agree..." Haiden murmured. His eyes lit up. "Oh." A grin appeared on his face. "What are the possibilities that it will be the Academy students?" His gaze turned to Akira. "Her friends are coming to try and save her; how charming." He looked at the two riders. "Let her be. We have preparations to make."

There was a spring in his stride as he strolled forward; in one hand he still held Akira's sword.

"The white dragon and the Academy are coming right to us," he declared aloud. "I couldn't have asked for a better outcome."

We can take care of everything in one go, Fury agreed as he got to his feet, his long tail swished back and forth in anticipation.

"Once we destroy both the riders and the white dragon, the Lands are ours." Haiden agreed. "The graduation force alone won't stand a chance, not for the next hundred years." Upon reaching Akira, he paused. For a moment, he gazed down at her. Disdain filled his eyes as he took in her blood-soaked clothes. "That's why I never wear white," he said as he dropped Akira's sword on the ground and turned away. The riders followed him.

Shall I finish her? Fury asked as he approached Akira, his nostrils were smoking and his eyes gleamed.

Without breaking a stride, Haiden waved a hand in the air. She's already dying. Can't you feel it? Why put her out of her misery? Let her wallow in it some more. It'll make her dragon come all the faster.

Fury paused by Akira's side. He hesitated, seeming in conflict. Yet, then he turned and followed his rider towards the massive door.

"Poor deluded fool. Nothing can save her now." Haiden's laugh echoed through the massive hall as the doors before him began to swing open. "Not even a healer can fix what I've done," he added. The doors shuddered before they fully stood open. Haiden's hand went to his sword as he walked through them. "Pull back the forces. Bring them to the palace. We need no longer attack. Our prey is coming to us!" he bellowed.