Chapter 22

When she had first come to the Academy, Akira had felt like a long awaited hero. Sure, there were those that had not liked her right from the start, but most had been in awe of her or had expected her to do some miracle. Now that she was blind, and refused to give up her status as Redemption's rider, she felt as though she had become little more than an outcast.

She had already noticed the changes the first time she had entered the mess hall in her current state. But now, these changes were becoming more and more obvious. Fellow riders avoided her on purpose. Brandon seemed to be ignoring her. Whether he did so on purpose, or because he was busy, Akira didn't know. They entire Academy was preparing for the possibility of another attack at the Academy.

On top of this, a full scale war had broken out. Riders from the Academy were sent out daily to help the graduates fight at the border. While riders in training usually were kept from actual battles, the scale of the fight made it important to use every rider available in the battle. Yet, despite their help, Haiden's forces were pushing into the border with each passing day.

Levi had not been to visit Akira since her blindness had taken over, and so Akira worked by herself with Redemption on the roof. She trained at night, when most others were asleep. Fighting past exhaustion, she and Redemption worked, trying to make things work despite her blindness.

Akira wiped sweat from her forehead. She had been training with Redemption since dusk. The moon was now getting close to reaching its peak.

Redemption stood near Akira. Since he came back from the council, he had not left his rider's side once whenever she stepped outside of the Academy. Destiny lay some distance away, her eyes closed and her chest rising steadily.

"Ree, is this worth it?" Akira asked the question on her mind. She held her sword so that its tip pointed to the roof. "Everyone's given up on us."

"Not everyone," Seth's voice whispered from behind her.

A smile touched Akira's lips as she leaned back. Seth wrapped his arms around her. When he had snuck up, she wasn't sure.

"Not to mention Gina," Seth added.

What about me and Destiny? Redemption asked. He wasn't about to be outdone.

"Or Drake," Seth continued.

Akira snorted. The only reason Drake talks to me is because Gina threatened to make his life miserable if he ignored me like the others, she thought. "You're late," she told Seth.

"Strategy meeting," Seth replied as he rested his chin on top of Akira's head.

Strategy meetings had become a common thing. Brandon had insisted on them, telling the students that he wouldn't have them rush into battle like savages. "You'll be killed faster than you can say 'draglin'," he had said.

Despite being so busy, Seth still found the time to come and join Akira. At night he would help her practice, being her partner in mock fights.

"How's your practice going tonight?" Seth's arms tightened slightly around Akira.

Akira let out a long sigh.

"By that reaction I'm guessing not so good, huh?"

Akira felt Seth shift.

"Are you pushing her too hard, Redemption?" he asked the white dragon.

Redemption's reply was a snort.

Seth chuckled. His arms disappeared from around Akira. "Why don't you take a break?"

Akira didn't protest as she felt him take the sword from her hands. In the next moment, Seth was gently pushing her shoulders.