False Hope

“You are what?!”

“Calm down,” I whisper, glancing curiously around me even though I’m inside my room, and the band is probably resting in their own bedrooms. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Naomi demands, a hint of annoyance in her voice.

“I am telling you now,” I say.

“If I didn’t call you, you won’t tell me!”

I can imagine her rolling her eyes. I try to understand why she’s mad. If the situation is reversed, and I just found out that she’s staying with my favorite band in the world, I’ll shave her head.

“Naomi,” I start, walking further inside my room and taking a sit on my bed, “I’m sorry, okay? It was just an impulse move. I didn’t plan to be their band manager in the first place.”

Yes, I’m officially in the head quarter of Infinite Chase. It is two-story with a basement where the band practice and compose their songs. I haven’t gone inside their studio yet, so I can’t describe it to Naomi.

On the outside it looks like an ordinary house. You can just pass it by without thinking that famous people are living in it. The façade is overwhelming. It’s like magic when I stepped inside earlier. I want to stay here forever. It is a magnificent place; a place you can call safe haven.

There are five rooms in the house – two on the ground floor that are occupied by Zeke and Lance, and three on the second floor. My room is across from Nate, and down the hall is the master’s bedroom that is occupied by KY.

I don’t have my own bathroom so I have to share with Nate. Mr. Handsome told me that I can do whatever with my room. It kind of disturbs me that there were people who stayed here before me. Fortunately, Julianne assured me that they changed all the furniture and things inside.

“Pretend manager,” Naomi says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah?”

“Aren’t you curious what happened to the real band manager?” she asks. “What if she suddenly comes back?”

I shrug. Then I remember that she can’t see me. Actually, I don’t care about that right now. I’m still feeling euphoric for this once in a lifetime chance. I can’t let negative thoughts ruin my happiness.

“I’ll worry about it when the time comes,” I say.

I lie on my bed, and let my body relax. It’s been long day; it was tiring to pack my things and travel for five hours. The bed is comfortable and fluffy. It’s like a magnet pulling me with its gravity. I look around, a smile forming on my face. The room is spacious, unlike my dorm room which is crammed with my things and my roommate's.

“What about your studies?”  Naomi inquires.

“I dropped out, remember? I can’t stay without my scholarship.”

“Have you told your mom?”

“No,” I choke the word out. The idea alone makes me shudder.

She sighs. “What are you planning to do?”

“I’ll save the money they will pay me, and then I’ll go back to college.” I don’t know how I made that sound so easy.

“Brielle.”

“Yeah?”

“I want to meet the band as well!” she yells.

“Holy macaroons,” I mutter, pulling the phone away from my ear.