Mango Shake

“Come home. Immediately.”

“Why, did something happen?”

“It’s been months! What on earth are you doing?”

“I’m saving money,” I say exasperatedly. “I’ll be home on Christmas.”

“Brielle,” my mom says, “I will pay your ticket. Just come home.”

“I’m sorry Mom, I can’t.” I’m not yet ready to tell you how a bluff I am. I can’t leave my job.

“Are you hiding something?” she asks in a serious voice. “Are you pregnant?”

I almost fell out of my chair. “Mom!” Me, pregnant? I’m not even involved with anyone.

“Don’t Mom me,” she says tersely. I can imagine her right now. Her hand is on her hips while she’s scowling in front of her. “Your father—“

“Did he call?” I ask quickly.

I can hear the resignation in her voice as she says, “He dropped by yesterday. He wanted to see you and your sister.”

“Can I see him on Christmas?” I don’t want to sound too eager, but it’s my father. It’s been years since I last saw him.

“I don’t know,” she says. “He left without saying anything.”

Disappointment creeps in my voice. “Okay Mom, I’ll see you soon.”

“You take care, young lady. You have a lot of explaining to do!”

“Bye!”

I plop down on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

My parents separated when I was in high school. My mom told me it only lasted that long because of me and my sister. Mom accused my dad of infidelity. She believed he didn't love her as much as he did his ex girlfriend.

That’s ridiculous.

Why marry my mom if he’s still in love with another woman?

I’m not angry with my dad because even though he lacks affection, I know that he loves us. Mom let him go. She said they’re only married in papers, there’s no point living in the same roof.

Mom told me they only get married because she became pregnant with me. Maybe if I was not born, mom would end up with a man who loves her.

During those times when their separation was new, I saw my mom crying while hugging my father’s things.

Back then, I asked myself why she let him go if she’s hurting.

I don’t want to hate my dad. Every time I look in the mirror, I see him in me. Mom said I’m a spitting image of my dad.

As years passed, he and my mom became friends. We don’t know where he lives. He doesn’t want to tell us. When he wants to see us, he just visits in the house.

Now it’s been two years since I last saw him.

It’s strange seeing your parents love each other and realizing none of it was real. I feel bad for my mom. I believe that everyone deserves someone who will make them happy, who will love them for real. The world is a lonely place without a companion.

If my parents didn’t get a happily ever after, I will.

I didn’t even notice that tears are streaming down my face if my phone didn’t ring.

I sit up and answer my phone. “Hello?”

“Hi, I’m online. Can we have a video call?”

It’s Seth.