Fools

“Elle.”

Elle?

 I turn around and see Kyle standing in front of me. “Yes?”

 “Let's talk after the concert,” he says.

 “About what?”

 He smiles. Smiles. He. Kyle smiled at me.

 Oh good Lord. He smiled at me.

 Can I capture this right now? If my brain has a memory card, I will store this moment in it.

“Hey.”

I snap out of my trance and see him watching me. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Come on, Bri. Don't lose your focus. Just because he smiled at you doesn't mean he likes you.

But he rarely smiles.

Mind, shut up. Heart, stop punching my chest. Lungs, breathe.

"Later?" he repeats. “Can I talk to you?”

I nod.

I want to respond but I can't find my tongue.

Before he walks out of the room, he says, "Get some rest."

I blink.

Those are my three new favorite—

No, no, no.

I don't like where my thoughts are headed. That's danger zone. Don't even try.

Maybe he needs help with something. Don't get too excited, you always end up disappointed.

Besides, you are moving on. You already let him go, didn’t you?

I take a deep breath and calm my nerves.

I can do it.

I take Kyle’s advice and head to the dressing room to take a nap. I didn’t sleep well last night because I was busy double checking our things for this tour.

I’m about to doze off when a loud ringing of the phone makes me jump in surprise. I search where the sound is coming from. I find it at the top of the table.

It’s Zeke’s.

The caller ID flashes: “HER” in capital letters.

Should I answer it?

Zeke is out there with the rest of the band, sound checking their instruments, and I don’t want to use his phone without his permission.

Who’s HER though? And what if it’s an emergency call?

Okay, I’ve decided. I’ll just explain it to Zeke later.

I swipe the answer button. Before I can say that Zeke’s out, the caller starts speaking.

“Hi, I just want to say have fun, and rock it! Before your concert,” HER says.

I frown. I think I’ve heard her voice before. Though it’s kind of hoarse, it’s familiar. But it’s at the back of my tongue, I can’t remember it.

“Ex—“

“I missed you so much. I can’t wait to see you again!”

“I—“

“Bye!”

I blink.

That ended too soon.

HER hungs up on me.