Secret Haven

• Dedicated to Trina Marie Liza

“Come on, let’s go to the studio.”

I gulp. This is it, the moment I’ve been waiting for. I’m going to Infinite Chase’s studio where they do magic. Well, create music. But still. They are the same thing.

I don’t want to hyperventilate, but I’m so excited, and I’m sure it’s showing on my face.

I follow the band as Nate leads the way. They told me a few days ago that the studio is located on the southern part of the house. When we round the last corner, there’s no door in sight.

Frowning, I turn my gaze to the band. “Are you playing a joke on me?” I haven’t been on the studio, but I know that it’s in the basement. But there’s no basement, so how. . .

Zeke grins. “Wait for the trick,” he says amusedly.

The guys watch my expression as I glance around, making sure I already check every corner for the sign of a door.

“Where is it?” I ask Nate.

He pushes a button from a frame hanging on the wall. And then there’s a screeching sound.

“There’s an earthquake!” I panic. In my nervousness, I hold on to Nate’s arm to steady myself.

The guys laugh at me. And that’s when I realize where the screeching sound came from. A hidden door.

I clear my throat. I probably look like an idiot; this is beyond embarrassing.

I ignore my stupidity and their laughter.

I focus my attention on the door in front of me. “Wow,” I breathe.

This is cool. Without knowing the secret button of the door, it won’t open. I wonder why they designed it like this, when in the first place the location of the house is already a mystery to their fans. There’s more to Infinite Chase than meets the eye.

“I didn’t expect this.”

“Come on,” Lance says, “you haven’t seen it yet!”

He pulls a string from inside the room. Light bursts out from the lanterns hanging on the ceiling, lighting the stairs.

A smile makes its way on my face. I can’t believe this. I blink my eyes; surely this is just a dream. I’ve been here a week but I didn’t know that this house has a secret place.

“Go,” Nate says, nudging me forward.

I walk down the stairs while holding on to the banister. When I enter the room at the end of the steps, Nate bows down and says, “Welcome to our secret haven.”

I take it all in. I feel like I’m in an enchanted place. There are Christmas lights on the walls, a couch on the far side of the room, and a plush carpet on the ground. There’s a cool vibe hanging in the air.

“What do you think?” Zeke asks.

“Amazing,” I say in a quiet voice. “Did you do all this?”

“Yes,” he answers. “Kyle wanted the Christmas lights on the walls even though it’s far from Christmas.”

“So you have those lights all year long?” I ask.

Lance nods. “Yves grew up with Christmas lights surrounding him. I think his parents influenced him.”

I blink in surprise. That’s news about KY. I’m about to ask more about his parents when Nate grabs my attention.

“Come on,” he says, tugging at my arm. He looks excited to tour me in their studio room. “This is just our lounge room.” He opens another door from the left wall and says, “This is our studio.”