Midnight Escapade

“I saw your video,” Naomi says.

“What are you talking about?”

“Your video with the band!”

My eyes widen while my mouth hangs open. “W-what do you mean?” I stammer.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about!” She says as she scowls at me. Even in the low quality of the laptop, I can see her green eyes with envy.

I minimize the Skype window, and quickly check the band’s page. It’s not there. The last video was from their latest music video. Besides, Nate promised me that he’ll not post it there.

“Give me the link,” I tell Naomi.

When I receive the link, I open it. Sure enough, it’s the video of our performance.

Nate uploaded it on his personal account. The traitor.

 “I can’t believe it,” I mutter. He tricked me. He may not post it on their page, but he uploaded it on his account, which is basically the same thing.

As I continue to watch it, my anger slowly ebbs. I look kind of okay in the video, but still, it’s embarrassing.

“Ugh!” I cover my face with my hands. Even if I tell Nate to delete it now, I’m sure his fans already downloaded it. I stop the video and click the Skype window.

Naomi sent me a message:

I want to sing with them as well :( :( :(

This is embarrassing. I don’t understand why she wants to experience this. I want to hide in a closet and never let anyone see my face.

Naomi stares at me with accusing eyes.

I raise my hands in surrender. “I didn’t know that he’ll post it. He made a promise!”

She sighs. “Have you seen how many views the video has?”

I shake my head. “I didn’t look.”

Naomi raises her phone and moves it closer to the screen.

I gape when I see the number of views. I can’t even. . . “When did he post it?” I inquire.

“Five hours ago.”

“And it already has a hundred thousand views?!” I bite my lip. Living with them, I forgot how famous they are. I did not dare glance at the like and dislike button. I might lose my confidence, and never sing again.

“The comments are pretty much—“

“No,” I interject, “Please, I don’t want to know.”

Naomi rolls her eyes. “They’re pretty much alright,” she continues. “Mostly they were asking who you are. Some even assumed you were Nate’s girl friend.”

“They're crazy,” I say while rolling my eyes. I’m just plain and simple. I can’t even dream that Nate can like me because it’s impossible. Like, hello?

“Whatever,” Naomi says. “I want to sing with the band as well.” She sends me a couple of sad faces.

“I’ll see what I can do about it,” I say with a sigh. I can’t promise her anything. If the band found out my identity, I’m dead.

“And I miss you so much, B.” She frowns. “It’s not the same without you here!”

I smile. “I understand what you mean.”

I’ve been friends with Naomi for as long as I can remember. She’s like my long lost sister. I still remember the day when we first became friends like it was just yesterday. . .