Eureka

Thank you so much for your comments on the previous chapter <3

Listen to the song: I’m A Mess by Ed Sheeran :) Facebook page: Facebook.com/ilurvbooks

I hope you’ll like this! Happy reading! =)

*****

No, no, no.

No, no, no, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

This is Nate.

I snap away from my thoughts and shake my head to put some sense into my mind.

I step away from Nate.

“What?” he asks, his brows furrowed.

“This is wrong,” I whisper. “I’m your band manager. I can’t— I mean, this is—“

He puts his forefinger on my lips. “Don’t tell me what’s right or wrong.”

“Nate,” I say, putting my hands on his chest to push him away, but he just holds my hand there.

I am so confused; I don’t know what’s happening anymore.

“Nate,” I say slowly, “Please don’t do this.” My heart feels constricting.

Nate squeezes my hands but doesn’t let go. “How many times do I have to tell you that I don’t care about the rules? Don’t remind me about being the pretend band manager. It doesn’t matter!”

I’m surprised with the intensity of his voice, it makes my knees wobble.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he asks, a deep frown showing on his face.

“I wanted to tell you, believe me.”

“But?” he prompts.

“I didn’t want you to be angry.”

“I’m not angry,” he says, sighing. “I’m just disappointed.”

I look down, and find the ground really interesting. This place smells detergent; it makes my nose itchy, and my eyes blurry. No, it’s not because of the tears pooling in them.

“You turned me down, but you went with him,” he says. To my surprise, he tilts my chin up so I end up staring at his green eyes. “Do you like him?”

I bite my lip.

Nate closes his eyes and then lets me go.

Seeing him like this makes not everything worth it.

“Nathaniel. . .”

“That’s the first time you called me by my first name,” he says, his mouth tugging at the corners.

“No, I don’t like him,” I say with much certainty as I can muster. “I mean, I’m trying not to.”

He opens his eyes, but he doesn’t meet my eyes. “You applied to be the band manager because of him?”

I nod. I don’t want to lie anymore. I’ll bare everything just to get his full trust.

“You must really like him for risking your life like this.”

“I know,” I mutter, ashamed.

I’m such a fool to let my heart run wild. Now I’m going to take control.

“Nate,” I start hesitantly, “Please don’t say anything to him.”

“Do you think I’ll tell him?” he asks incredulously. “After everything we’ve been through, I will keep your secret.”