The Secret

Whatever the reason might be... even if the countries on the other part of the world have started to go down into the earth like they show in some movies... even if a meteor was nearing earth which could make mankind extinct,  my college management wouldn't declare a holiday.

I stepped into the college, dragging myself through the long lobby. Why didn't they just build classes near the entrance? In that way, we didn't have to be late for class even if we reached campus on time.

Shouldering through a mass of college students, who were deaf with their headphones and blind with their cell phones on a Monday morning, who wouldn't budge even if you knock them down with a bulldozer, will suck up all the energy you got with your cereal breakfast.

After a few bumps with shoulders and stamps on my foot, I finally reached my locker. Shoving my jacket into the locker, I grabbed the books required for today's schedule of agony.

“Good morning!”

I heard her before even I saw her. Alice Lowell! The only good morning I look forward to. I turned around to the petite blonde with the prettiest pair of green eyes I have ever seen.

We tend to meet different types of people. Alice was a type of girl who could magically turn the worst moment into a happy one. She always roamed around with a brilliant smile that could light up a whole town and heart of gold. She was a thousand rays of sunshine bottled up in a 5’4” figure.

Even though she was a little more skinny than I was, the hug she gave me literally crushed a couple of my ribs.

“Hey”, she smiled leaning against the locker next to mine and flashing her dimples. Damn girl...

The best thing about Alice was her dimples. I always envy her for that. And when her smile became a full blown laughter, she here became a thin line and her dimples, it reached all the way up to her cheeks. It always reminded me of my mom.

And honestly, I was a sucker for dimples.

  It has always been my favorite thing to goof around her, do random things and crack silly jokes to make her laugh and watch her laughing.

“It was only a weekend, Alice”, I said smiling back.

“I know. But I missed you”, she shrugged .

“Yeah well I missed you-”, my sentence was cut-off in the middle and was caged by a pair of strong arms and was given another tight hug, this time crushing a couple more.

The fact that a hug was given to comfort someone and not to choke and fracture them never entered their thick skulls.

I wasn’t complaining though. Their hugs never failed to make my day.

I pulled back to regain my breath and turned to come face-to-chest with James Marrok aka Jimmy.

Alice and Jimmy knew each other before they knew me. I met them during my third grade when I changed schools after my parent's death. We have been together since then.

With a height of 6'2”, he stood towering over me. The first thing you notice, when you see Jimmy for the first time, is his hazel eyes. A perfect mixture of hazel and gold which swirled every time you have a closer look and long, dark eyelashes which he did not deserve.

Why do even boys have lashes like that? It wasn’t not like they were going to use it like we girls.

For a 21 year old, he was pretty muscular. Add that to the dangerous combination of always tousled brunette hair and perfect pair of hazel eyes, he never failed to turn a few heads wherever he went and charm the life out of people. But, his tricks worked neither on Alice nor me.

And should never forget to mention his filter less mouth. It was as if he lacked connection between his brain and mouth. He never thought twice before speaking and ended up with one or two bruises from Alice. Like today.

Jimmy said something about Alice's choice of outfit for today, not in a good way, which he should never have done and that, obviously, made Alice angry. And when Alice and angry were in the same sentence, you run and never look back. He didn’t.

Never question a woman’s fashion sense, you moron.

I could see fumes coming out of her nose and ears as she walked towards him and smacked the back of his head, hard.

“Aw. Easy girl “, he jumped back, rubbing the sore area.

If it was for an outsider, a girl like Alice with 5'4” and a skinny body throwing such a hit on grownup but not so 'grown up' guys would look unnatural. But not for me. NO. Actually, they should be. After all, they were werewolves!

Wait. What? Did I say werewolves? Funny. One would think I've gone nuts. They don't exist, right. Right?

I mean…we’ve read about them in stories and heard about in lores, but to say that they exist among us? Yes, that’s exactly what I was saying. They did exist. I've never believed that those fantasy creatures existed until I met them.

I’ve known about them ever since I knew them. At first, I  thought it was some detailed prank, but eventually I came to know that that wasn’t the case. It took me more than a year to come to terms with the fact that my friends were supernatural creatures. And trust me, I didn’t take it easily. I mean.. C'mon. No one was going to believe that something they have seen only in books and novels existed in real life.

I never told anyone about this, not even Nora and I was determined to take it with me to the grave. They trusted me with a secret that could put their lives in danger and carrying such a secret around it did nothing but strengthen our friendship.

It amazed me very much when I came to know about their world. I started thinking that every person I see might be a werewolf.

They told me a few werewolf things, like their Moon goddess, how they shift when they turn 18 or 16 in case of an Alpha and their shifting process, how they get an inner wolf when they shift, their positions in the pack like Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Pack warriors etc., And of course, the mates.

I've always been fascinated about this mate thing . A mate is actually someone their moon goddess chooses for a person with whom they are destined to live forever. They are bound to live together.. love each other and die together. If one among them died or got rejected, it will leave the same or similar impact on the other one.

Alice and Jimmy belonged to The Dark Red Moon Pack which is the only pack in Wood Springs and the biggest pack in the USA.

They both shifted a year ago. Alice found her mate during her 18th birthday. I haven't met her mate yet but she told me that his name was John and that he was the Beta of her pack. That made her beta-female. Second in command. She would make an amazing and perfect Beta female.

Jimmy hasn't found his mate. He was third in command of his pack, a Gamma. Usually, those who held ranks in a pack tend to find their mates quicker than other members of the pack. He used to say that his mate must be dead which earned him a slap and punch from me and Alice.

And as for me, I never was in a serious relationship. I have dated few guys but nothing lasted more than a few months. Something has always held me back. Maybe the fear of another heartbreak. After everything I've lost, I was afraid of letting people into my life. I didn't get attached to people that easily. I took time. A lot of it. And once I let them in, I could never leave them. Because when they chose to walk out of your life, it would hurt like hell and tear down every last string of hope you had.

Compared to the human world, finding mates and getting to live them seemed easy. Once you find your other half, you could not walk away. You could not hurt them. Because, you would feel their pain and that reduced a lot of trouble and hurting.

I wanted someone who I could love endlessly and be loved back. A person who would never leave me no matter how hard life gets. Someone who would stand under the pouring rain with me and enjoy it. Someone you can't imagine being without, a person you believe was worth sticking with and fighting for.

*************
I hope you guys enjoyed his chap. If you are not familiar with the werewolf stuff then let me know. I can explain it to you. Keep voting and commenting. I love reading them .

With loves and kisses....

Nisha Amol♡♥