Last Beat

I heard her. Bella. I could bet on all of my stars that I've heard her voice. She was here. Somewhere near.

Aunt May was right. A mate's mere presence, their smell or even their voice was enough for one to stay alive. Mate bond could be that strong. I felt each and every single word of her to be true now.

I let a blood curdling howl, shaking the ground beneath me of that quiet forest. Mind-linking my warrior and trackers to follow me, I darted in the direction my wolf took me.

The happiness that she was finally within my hand’s reach, the relief that I could finally hold her and the frustration that I couldn’t see her in this blinding darkness, was messing my head as I ran as fast as my legs could take me.

My pounding heart skipped a beat and I skidded to a sudden stop when I spotted two silhouettes in the dark. The bounding steps of my warriors stopped behind me, deciphering the situation that was unfolding in front of us, waiting for my command.

The trees were little sparse in that area, letting the silver beams of the moon to hit the mossy forest floor.

The tension that kept me going for 48 hours dissolved into nothing. The relentless thud of my heart slowed down as I came down from the adrenaline high.

She stood, flawless as always, under the moonlit sky, a slow smile stretched across her lips. My eyes scanned her body for any injuries and her face for any sign of pain.

I knew she was looking at me and the smile on her lips proved that she recognized my wolf. My heart swelled with happiness.

Slight movement caught my attention and I moved my gaze from her to the silhouette  standing beside her. Walking slowly forward, he emerged out of the shadows.

My wolf bared his teeth and snapped his jaw at him. Rogue. I was so caught up in her scent and her presence, the pungent smell of a rogue didn’t register in my brain.

He was thin built, almost as tall as me and probably my age, but his shadowed face and it’s gaunt features made him look older than he should be.

I was ready to charge at him, ready to take him as far away from Bella as possible. But then it struck me. He brought her here. I was pretty sure she wasn’t in this land three hours before because I myself searched these lands.

He came to stand beside her. “Shift Alpha”. I stood on stiffened legs and tall, snarling at him, baring my teeth. Rogues never ordered around an Alpha wolf. But being a dominant wolf was not going to get things done.

I shifted behind a thick pine tree and came out with my shorts that were taken along by one of my warriors tied with his leg.

“Let her go”, I was surprised by how calm my voice sounded with all the emotions boiling inside me. My eyes cautiously watched his each movements, ready to pounce if the things went south.

He looked at her, silent words transpiring between them. She knew him. The way she stood beside him without any fear, it was like she trusted him.

“I need your word, Alpha”, he looked back at me. “Word?”.

“Yes. Rogues won’t cross your pack’s path again. I’ll make sure of that”, he continued, “But Marcus won’t rest until he gets what he wants. He wants Bella to get back his mate. Deal with him first. It was his warrior who killed yours in that fight. Give your word that you will leave the rogues out of it”.

I scoffed. “Rogues and we go way back to just let them out of this”.

“I wasn’t there then but I know what happened. The rogues who attacked your families are not among us anymore. We don’t want anything to do with you guys. The few who were bought by Marcus will be taken care of”. He was a new rogue. I could tell that from his smell but if what he telling was true, which I think it was, the battle I had yet to fight was with Marcus.

He had planned it out pretty good. He used one or two rogues in the trespassing groups to divert the attention from his pack by distracting us with the rogue's unmistakable smell.

“You don’t have to give in to previous generations revenge”, he swallowed, waiting for my words. He had laid out all his demands in front of me, and now it was my move.

I looked at Bella, locking my eyes with her. Her milky skin looked softer under the moonlight. She was my future. We both have a new life ahead of us. We all did. Marcus was one thing. I beat him once, I could do it again. But rogues. If I had to deal with them, I had to keep doing it all my life, fighting the same fight.

They haven’t attacked us after that fateful night until Marcus’s intervention. Sometimes we had to let go of the past, to fully live in the present and have something to look forward to in the future.

I heaved a heavy sigh and cleared my throat. “If you keep your end of the deal, you’ve got my word”. His tense shoulders drooped a little and he gave me a stiff nod. “You have my word”.

Bella’s POV:

Aden disappeared from my peripheral vision as he took a step back from beside me. He nodded his head towards Ryan when I looked back, silently telling me to go to him.

He didn’t have to tell me twice. Ryan met me halfway, his strong wide open arms engulfing me into a tight hug. The warmth radiating off his body and the familiar beats of his heart welcomed me home. I shivered at the sparkles that he left behind everywhere he touched my skin. A content sigh escaped my lips when I breathed in his earthly scent. I was home.

"I missed you too", he whispered. Pulling him closer, I nuzzled into his neck, making up for lost times and touches.

His kiss on my forehead was a long and reassuring one as he took a deep breath inhaling my scent. He held me close in an one arm hug as we stood facing Aden. The difficult part. Saying goodbyes.

I gently shook my head, tears welling up in my eyes. “You can stay here with us. You don’t have to go back”. 

He shook his head, a sad smile on his face. “I could never be a normal wolf, Ellie. Whether I like it or not, I am a rogue. I was bit by one. This is my life. If it wasn’t you that got kidnapped, maybe I wouldn’t saved her”,  his voice quavered , “I have stayed awake many nights wishing that I didn’t wander around that night, that I didn’t cross paths with a rogue werewolf that night but I can’t change anything about it”.

Ryan gave me gentle squeeze and let me go. Crossing the space between us, I pulled Aden into a tight hug. “I can’t lose you again”, I sobbed into his shirt.

“You won’t”, he gently rubbed  my back in an attempt to comfort me. “I’ll always be around, Ellie. But I have to go back now. I have words to keep and things to change”, he pulled back and looked into my eyes, keeping me at his arms length.

“But I want you to know this. Three days ago, if I stood facing death, I would’ve gladly accepted it without putting up any fight. But then I had you unconscious in my arms, I saw a chance to save you and I took it”, he wiped my tears away and continued, “I don’t want to die now, Ellie. I want to change things. I’ve to make my long accepted fate better. You gave me that purpose and I want you to know that”.

His eyes held something other than sadness for the first time since I saw him. The tears that were streaming down his cheeks weren’t because of pain like it was back in the dungeon. I was because he felt hope for the first time in a long time and he was overwhelmed by it.

He stepped back, into the dark, away from us with a final nod and a gentle smile that reached his eyes bringing back the boyish charm he once had.

“This isn’t a goodbye, Ellie. We will meet again but under better circumstances”.

With that he left, disappearing into the inky darkness, again without a goodbye but it didn’t hurt like the first time cause I knew he would come back this time.

******************

Longest chapter I've ever wrote.
Soooooooooooo......

That's it. This is the official end of the book. There maybe one or two chapters after this. I hope all of the plots and twists are revealed in this chapter. If you have anymore questions, comment here. I'll post it in another chapter as Q/A.

Thank you for all your supports and keep supporting. Shoot me with constructive criticism ♡♡

Stay connected. Stay blessed

Vote. Comment. Fan <3

With loves and kisses....

Nisha Amol >_<

Luv ya