Why Me?

Bella’s POV:

John came back with a worried smile on his face. Mr. Alpha came down with a black button down shirt and a blue faded jean, his hair damp.

"Alpha. She is here"

"Bring her to my study", he said and walked away leading the way. Alice kept her one hand on my shoulder and the other in my back rubbing circles, trying to sooth me. Behind two large wooden doors was the room not bigger than the party hall. There were two brown sofas and a same coloured love seat with a glass coffee table in the middle. A lady in her 80's stood inside. Her long, grey hair was tied in a neat bun.

"Good evening Alpha", she nodded, politely.

"Evening Madam May. I have called you here-"

"I know, Alpha", her eyes were looking at me with surprised eyebrows. I didn't know who she was. But I knew one thing. She was powerful enough to cut the Alpha off.

"You are a blessed one, Alpha. Blessed by the goddess herself. Both of your names will be passed down for generations. I wish you both a very happy forever."

"Wait. What?”,  I scoffed, “This is ridiculous. How can you expect a human to lead a 'happy forever' with a werewolf?", I yelled, turning every head in that hall in my direction.

I was the patient one in the trio. Something that became of me when I grew up in the orphanage. But even I had limits. And right now, it was running thin. Pretending I wasn’t standing right there and discussing my life without involving me was where I drew the line.

"I'm done here, okay. Alice, I'm leaving. Bye Jimmy", I stood up, grabbed my purse and walked to the door without sparing them another glance.

"Your rejection would kill him, child". I didn't know why, but that stopped me in my tracks.

“You have lost people before, child. I could see it in your eyes. I just want you to know how important you are to him. To this pack. This doesn't work like it works in the human world. When a werewolf rejects his/her mate, it will make the other weak and suffer. But, in case of a human rejection, it will kill the other in the worst way possible. If it is an Alpha at the receiving end, it will be the downfall of his pack too. You are precious, child. Even your lingering scent in the air is enough. Think of it, now". Slowly, I turned around. Too much was happening around me and I couldn’t wrap my head around any of it.

"Why me?", I asked her, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Do you believe in fate?”. I scoffed. I had too much history with fate to not believe in it. She smiled at me and I had a feeling that she understood the reason behind my lack of answer.

“I don’t have any clue why you were chosen, but what I know, for a fact, is how rare this is”, she continued.

“The first werewolf was a human. An angered Zeus turned him and his sons into werewolves and cursed them to wander as beasts and suffer under every full moon. Our ancestors prayed to the moon goddess for a boon for them to live as both humans and wolves in harmony and she granted it. There were lores and legends of human mates blessed by the mood goodness to keep the harmony but I never thought I would live to see one”

I plopped down on a nearby chair and rested my face on my palm, balancing my elbows on my knees. This wasn’t how I thought the day would be.

“Is there any other way? “Jimmy’s voice resonated in the quiet hall. I looked up at him. He was silent throughout the whole ordeal.

“You can’t say no to a goddess’s blessing, James”, she said, her voice painted with worry.

I sighed. I didn't want anyone to die because of my rejection. In their world, rejection like that could be brutal. And if the bond they talk about was actually very strong, think about trying to rip it apart . One scar that could last a lifetime, was enough.