Speak Of The Devil

I felt a piercing headache forming, burning the remaining of my brain cells by the end of the classes. I took my books and walked out as fast as I could to the parking lot.

Jimmy was back to his old self again. I didn’t get abducted in the middle of my class like yesterday. Life was good.

As soon as I got out of the car, I beeline to the kitchen, throwing my bag on the couch and not stopping to take a glance. Ever since I got a taste of Maria's cooking, the head cook of the pack house, my college cafeteria’s food started tasting even more like garbage.

I hopped on the counter next to where she was working. She looked up at me and smiled.

"Whatcha cookin good lookin?”, she laughed grabbing a plate for me. She was like grandma I never had. Like the one who cooks food for you and throws your dietary plans in the wind and insists that you eat another serving.

She served me a generous slice of her infamous apple pie.

"Thank you Maria. You are awesome". We talked and laughed for a brief while before I bid her goodbye and went to my room, well his room. I drew a hot bath for myself and threw in some bath salts I could get me hands on. The hot water felt amazing against my cold skin and tense muscles.

A good relaxing soak could do wonders. I washed up finally with a shower,  and changed into my comfortable pajamas. I was standing in front of the mirror, combing my wet hair when I heard a loud crash and shouts from downstairs.

I was curious and wanted to check it out but knew better than to get tangled up in a werewolf business. I strained my ear, listening for any further sounds when the door flew open, hitting the wall behind, coming out of its hinges and entered someone I could barely recognize.

I knew it was Ryan but he looked hardly recognizable. Thick coat of black fur covered almost all of his face and his teeth, his canines protruding from his mouth. His eyes scanned the room and turned into deeper shades of blue- almost black, when it landed on me.

An involuntary gasp escaped past my lips when he charged towards me, in two long steps and pushed me back with him until my back hit the wall.

“Ryan, step back”, I heard Alice shout from the threshold. He growled at her, baring his teeth.

His dark eyes scanned me  silently and he held me by shoulders, careful not to hurt me. My breath came out in short pants. I was too confused to make a sound.

He leaned forward and nuzzled his nose over my collarbone, inhaling my scent. His large hands moved to my waist, pinning me to the wall to stop me from squirming.

It took minutes to realize what was happening. I stood there frozen under his touch. The frequent brushing of his lips and fanning of his breath over my bare neck sent waves of shivers down my spine.

I looked over his shoulder at a terrified Alice by the door. John stood behind her, on high alert,  ready to jump in if anything went south.

I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing. His labored breath became even when he slowly leaned back, his skin flushed and back to normal but his eyes, they were closed shut. He was shaking uncontrollably, his face was contorted in pain. I reached forward, as a reflex, to touch him. His eyes flew open, wide in surprise and without another word, he turned around and walked out.

Alice was by my side instantly, her eyes scanning me for any injury. “Are you hurt?”. I shook my head negative. He made sure of that.

My heart was beating at a rate that I thought it would jump out my ribcage. I walked on my wobbly legs, gripping Alice tightly for support and sat down on the bed.

"What happened to him? He looked different", I whispered , staring into the space.

"He didn’t shift back completely”, worry was evident in her voice, “one has to be calm and concentrated when they shift back to their human form. It’s like a primitive instinct. Our wolf won’t go back if we feel restless and only does when it is made sure that the danger is removed”. John lingered for a minute by the door to make sure that we were okay and left, probably to find his Alpha.

“Why did he come here?”, I asked her but more to myself.

“He wanted to make sure that you are safe. That was the only way for him to calm down. A mate’s scent can do wonders. It can literally bring a beast to his knees”.

What made him so restless that he couldn’t shift back?  He was calm and even flirted a little with me this morning.

"Are you okay,  Bella?", her concerned tone pulled my back from my line of thoughts.

"Yeah. I'm fine", I tried to sound strong and smiled at her.

"Okay”, she said, carefully watching me, but she didn’t push it. “I forgot to tell you something. There's a little gathering this weekend to officially welcome you to this pack. I was planning on doing some shopping tomorrow. You okay with that? ", I wordlessly nodded. That’s another thing to worry about but I pushed it to the back of my head.

Ryan's face flashed in front of my eyes, every time I tried to close my eyes. The look he had on his face when he finally calmed down. There was so much pain and suffering in his face and the look he gave me when I tried to touch him, his eyes so full of fear and distress.

He didn’t come back that night and I went to sleep wondering where he would be in this moonless night in the woods.

Ryan's POV:

Rogues.

They were like cockroaches. You couldn’t just get rid of them once and for all. What pissed me off more was that they were spotted more often after Bella moved here.

After John's warning came through the mind link, I myself went to the North side of my pack territory where they were last spotted. Three of them. My pack fighters were already done with two of them when I arrived there and kept one alive, for investigations.

I didn’t notice it at first but when I finally did, my blood ran cold. It was a note,  written in blood and was pinned to a tree with a hand knife. ‘You can’t keep her safe forever’. That was my snapping point.

I turned back and darted, still in my wolf form, barking orders to tighten security through the mind link. I ran towards the pack house, only one thing on my mind. Make sure she was safe. She would be but I had to see for myself. I was seeing red and my wolf had shut me off when I called for him.

I could see the pack house looming in the distance but he wouldn’t listen to me. I couldn’t go in like this, it would scare her. But he was too anxious to think straight. He wanted to make sure that she was safe.

I willed him to control himself. No was in my sight when I charged in through the front door. I grabbed the first piece of fabric I could find, sending the contents of the table crashing to the floor.  Her scent was so faint in the air which only pushed me on further.

She was standing in front of the dresser when I barged in. Her blue eyes met mine, wide in shock. My legs with a mind of its own walked me to her, like an invisible magnetic pull.

The moment my fingers touched her cool skin, everything blurred into nothingness. I buried my head within her hair, careful to keep my claws away from her smooth skin and filled my lungs with her scent as much as I could. She didn't protest but stood frozen, her breathing labored. It was scary how her scent calmed me and my wolf down.

I felt myself relaxing against her. I rested my forehead on her shoulder, too exhausted to move. But I felt her move. I moved away, scared that I hurt her somehow but was surprised when she reached out to me.

How could she even want to touch me? Even a grown wolf would run for the hills when met with a irate wolf but there she was, in her delicate self, so poised and dauntless, attempting to comfort me.

I was left speechless by her tiny, bold gesture. I moved away from her, at a loss of words walked out without a word, running off into the night.

Bella's POV:

The steady rays of sunlight through the wide open curtains woke me up.  I squinted my against the bright morning light and sat up narrowing my eyes at a not-so-pleased looking Alice.

"Get up loser", she said, moving around the room and picking up things I didn’t remember leaving on the floor, “we are going shopping”, I rolled my eyes at her reference.

If I were to prepare a hit list, morning persons would be my choice of preference.

“This early?”, I rolled out of the bed walking to the bathroom. I stopped whatever she was doing. “It’s 11.30. That is almost noon. Now go shower or else I’ll drag you out in your PJs”. She would do it if she had to.  I silently walked into the bathroom.

"I'll be waiting down Bella", shouted from the bedroom and I heard the door close.

I followed the sound to the kitchen. Alice was arguing with John about a meeting which I was pretty sure wasn't scheduled until Alice announced her shopping plans.

I stood quietly munching on my toast, my eyes searching for Ryan. His side of bed was untouched when I woke up so I was sure he didn’t come in last night. My attention snapped back when Alice charged past me, muttering under her breath.  I waved at a sheepish looking John and followed her out.

Shopping was, as usual, excruciating and I didn’t remember any of it. I did whatever she asked of me in autopilot. It was six thirty by the time we came back. Alive skipped dinner and went away to try on her dress.  I changed and wandered around to the kitchen. It was almost empty except one who was at the furthest corner, cleaning. I poured myself a glass of orange juice and leaned against the counter, sipping it.

I choked my drink and jolted when two strong hands slid down my waist. Only one would even dare to do this but I was sure it wasn’t him. It wasn’t Ryan. I turned around and I was right. I struggled to get out of his hold but he only tightened his grip.

"You new around here?", he murmured, sniffing my hair.

"Get your hands off me", I hit his chest and pushed him away when he leaned forward.

He pressed me to the counter with his hips, caging me between him and the counter. I screamed, clawing at this face.

“Get off-”, my sentence was suddenly cut off by him getting pulled away, a broad body between two of us.

“Get away from her", Ryan growled , clenching his fist.

"Alpha!", the guy whispered stepping forward.

Wrong move buddy.

I couldn’t grab Ryan’s arm fast enough. He pulled back and punched him square in the jaw. He stumbled back covering his bleeding nose. He charged forward to finish what he started but John intervened.

"Take him away", he told John and walked towards me.

"Revamp my house John. We are moving there after the party”, he said over his shoulder, still looking at me.

"Yes Alpha".

Ryan slowly reached forward and gently pulled my left hand up which was bleeding. Somewhere between getting pushed against the counter and me struggling, I knocked off the glass and it cut me in the palm and I didn’t feel anything with all the adrenaline that was pumping through me.

"What happened? Oh my god Bella? Jesus what happened?”, she gently inspected my wounded hand .

“Take her to the hospital Alice. I have something to take care of. Take Jimmy with you.  John’s busy”, I watched him storm off, his form tense.

Alice drove me to the hospital,  asking million times whether I was okay. We were sent to an examination room and soon a pretty doctor probably a few years older than me, entered the room.

"Hi. I am Dr. Rachel Greenfield. Can I see your wound?", she gently lifted my hand and inspected it with her gloved hand.

"Greenfield? Are you Dr. Ned's daughter?", Alice questioned her.

"Yeah. I am. I was in California for about five years studying and returned to Wood Springs a few days ago”, she answered her with a smile.

She gave me an injection for the pain, which came back once I got down from my adrenaline high. She stitched up the wound and bandaged it.

"Stay here for a  while.  I’ll be back in a minute”, she smiled at both of us and left us in that small grey room

“She’s hot”, Alice murmured which cracked me up.

"Where the hell is this Jimmy?", she sighed exasperated and the door flew open at the same time.

"Speak of a devil and there he is", Alice told under her breath.

"Are you ok-", he stopped mid-sentence and loomed by the door, not coming in. He looked around the room, frantically searching for something.

"What's wrong?", Alice asked him, taking a step towards him. He looked like he was about to pass out.

"Mate!"

***************

Well, how was this chap? Score me from 1 to 10. I tried Ryan's POV too. Should I write his' frequently?

What do you think about the Jammy?

STAY BLESSED.

...VOTE...

...COMMENT...

...FAN...

With loves and kisses...

Nisha Amol♡♥♡