My Virgin Eyes And Ears

I didn't know how long I've been sitting like this. I was sitting cross-legged in the bed leaning against the headboard, worrying my lips. He didn’t do the routine knock check to see if I was up today. Maybe he was feeling awkward too.

My over thinking mind was analyzing it from every angle. “Ugh”, I pushed the thoughts aside and hopped in the shower.

I found him downstairs, in the dining room with a half eaten toast and a newspaper, fully dressed for the day. He looked up at me when I sat across him.

“Morning”, he pushed a plate of toast and a glass of orange juice towards me and went back to his paper.

“Morning”, I cleared my throat when it came out breathy and took a bite out of the toast.

“You cooked?”, hoping to start a conversation, I asked him. He raised his eyebrows, amused.

“Yeah. I put the bread in the toaster and buttered it and poured the juice in the glass. You know, the whole meal”, he chortled.

I scoffed. “Very funny”.

And just like that I knew we were back to normal.  Back to quick, witty remarks and bickering. I was actually happy that we both weren’t caught up in yesterday night and not being awkward about it.

“Jimmy will be picking you up in ten. You want me to stay?”

I shook my head. “I’ll be fine”, I mumbled with a mouth full of food. Charming.

He chuckled and got up, grabbing his keys and blazer. He paused for a second and looked at me, about to say something, opening and closing his mouth but thought better of it and left.

College was, as usual torture except for Medieval literature. I kept zoning out in almost all of my classes, thinking about yesterday’s happenings. I knew that it wasn’t just a very good dream or wishful thinking. He was there and it happened. I had tingles on my lips to prove that.

I was absent mindedly moving the food around my plate and jumped back when Jimmy slammed his fist on the table in front of me.

“What the hell, Jimmy”, I glared at him and picked up the bottle he knocked down.

“I called your name for like five times. Earth to miss. What were you dreaming about?”

I huffed. “I wasn’t dreaming. I’m just tired. I didn’t get enough sleep last night”, I sighed. I didn’t. I couldn’t.

“What kept you up last night ?”, Alice taunted me and I knew better than to open my mouth and answer them. I would end up spilling everything and it would lead to the conversation I wasn’t physically and mentally ready to have.

I made faces at her and kept shut.

Drive back from college was wild. We jammed to Led Zeppelin, screaming the lyrics at the top of our lungs, air guitar and all.

He dropped me off and I stood on the driveway and watched him back up and drive away.

The house was silent when I walked in. There is a Zen kind of peace in having the house all to yourself.

I hopped in the shower and stood under the hot spray for a full ten minutes and then dressed before coming down.

I quietly sauntered down the hallway and came to a stop in front of his office door.

I cracked it open and peeked in. The room was massive. A warm glow from the chandelier filled the whole room.

I gently closed it behind me and walked in. A huge mahogany desk was placed at one corner, facing the room with two office chairs in front of it.

But the rest of the room, the bigger portion of it, was filled by books. I walked up to the floor-to-ceiling bookshelf and ran my hand through the spines of the books, going through the names. He had the most extensive collection of books, almost genres from classics to sci-fi.

The further corner of the room was the reading area. A mid century chaise lounge was placed facing the window, in front of a cocktail table. It looked so cozy, I could just curl up with a book and never get up.

I picked a classic Hemingway and sat down and made myself comfortable.

I must’ve lost the track of time, because I looked up and out the window, it was dark outside.

“Bella?”, I heard Ryan call for me from the living room.

“In here”, I shouted back, not moving a muscle from the curled up position I was in.

“You broke into my office”, he said from the doorway. He stood with one hand on his hip and the other on the door frame, his top shirt button undone.

In the wise words of my Queen Taylor Swift, he was a mansion with a very nice view.

I averted my eyes and looked pointedly at the book, not reading a single word. “It wasn’t locked. So technically, I didn’t break in”.

"Alight. I have a meeting with Ben. So why don’t you get ready and I’ll drop you at the pack house”, he came to stand behind the sofa, looming over me.

"Really?”, I tilted my head to get a clear look at him.  He nodded. “I'll be down in five”, I placed the book on the table and ran past him to the bedroom. I quickly changed my pajamas, grabbed my phone and ran downstairs, skipping one step at a time.

"I'm ready",

I so badly wanted to get out of this house. As much as I loved being alone, it could get really quiet sometimes. For the first in my life, I wanted to go out and socialize. Even if it was only with my friends. I stood there bouncing on the balls of my heels.

He uncrossed his ankles and stood up slowly from the sofa, stretching his limbs. He cracked his knuckles and dusted off his immaculate pants. He massaged the back of his neck and shoulders, yawning and stretching, again.

I glared at him, foot tapping impatiently, waiting for him to be done with his free shows. I could walk and leave his dramatic ass here, but it was freezing out and I would turn into a popsicle halfway to the pack house.

"Anytime today", I said through gritted teeth, with a tight smile.

He opened his eyes from his self-Thai massage, meeting mine, the corners of lips twitching. He walked past me to his car with me following him.

The second he parked the car in front of the pack house, I hopped out and slammed the door.

"Hey. Wait", he called me over the roof of the car, getting out.

"What now?", I threw my hands up in frustration. He seemed hell bent on pissing me off.

"Send that lazy ass John down soon", he said checking his watch.

Pay back time buddy.

“Oh, it’s getting late?”, I asked innocently. He actually seemed to be in a hurry. You could’ve saved some time back there buddy.

I intentionally turned lazily, with an evil smirk. I swayed my hips slowly, climbing one step at a time, making baby steps, doing my best slow-mo.

I heard him groaning and the sound of the car door slamming shut. I turned around to see him charging towards me, muttering something under his breath. That's it. Play time over.

I broke into a run giggling, making no stops. I dashed down the second floor corridor and threw their door open. Biggest mistake ever and I would live to regret that for the rest of my life.

They were both butt naked, getting it on. “Oh my god”, I never gagged that hard in my life. I slammed the door shut, shuddering.

I heard collective gasps and a thud, followed by a string of curses from the other side of the door.

The door flew open and a disheveled John stood on the doorway, gripping a white sheet around his hips, Alice chuckling behind him from the bed.

"Ever heard of knocking the door?", he chided.

"Ever heard of locking the door ?”, I retorted back.

I knew I should’ve knocked but hey, they should’ve locked the door too if they decided to go at it in a place where more than 50 people resided.

"What do you want?", he rolled his eyes at me and huffed, clearly shook from the little encounter.

"I hope your Alpha has your lazy ass for being late”, I smirked, which only turned into an evil laugh at the look on his face.

“Shit”, his eyes widened in horror as he scurried back into his room, searching it for a decent clothing. Alice threw his pants at him and he was out of the door in record time, muttering curses under his breath, while I waited patiently by the door.

I looked back at Alice who was laughing on her way to the bathroom, “I’ll be back in a minute”.

I walked into the room, closing the door behind me and kept a safe distance away from the bed. No way I was going to sit there. She came out, dressed in fresh clothes and smiled at me.

“So finally, some girls time huh?", she came to sit beside on the couch

"Yeah, finally", I leaned back on her sofa, hiking my legs on the coffee table.

"How’s the new place?"

“It’s so beautiful. But it gets quiet sometimes. I’m always used to have someone around me, either Nora or you guys. But I think I’ll manage. Besides, he has an impressive book collection. What more an English major could ask for?”

She smiled. “Yeah, he would go through about three books in a week when he was in school”, a small smile played on her lips in nostalgia.

“You know what?”, she stood up and walked to her closet, “I have something to show you”.

She came back with a thick binder in her hand.  A photo album. She motioned for me to come sit on the bed with her.

“Nope. Not happening. Not until you change sheets”.

She laughed and we settled on the floor, on her plush carpet.

First few pictures were of their parents. They were young, in the arms of their mates, laughing. No body was looking at the camera. They were either looking into their partner’s eyes and leaning forward, doubling up with laughter. It was a moment of genuine happiness.

She smiled softly, tracing her fingers gingerly over their faces.

“They were so young. Just a few years older than we are now. Cece was pregnant with Jess at that time. So she and Ben stayed behind. It was Ryan’s, Jimmy’s and my parents who went to the convention. They were-”, she swallowed, her eyes watering. I took her hand in mine, tracing circles with my thumb. “They were ambushed by a pack of rogues on their way back”, she wiped her tears, sniffing.

“Ryan was the only old enough to know what happened and it hit him pretty hard. Ben and Cece practically raised us all”. We were quiet, breathing silently, letting the moment sink in.

“Anyway”, she sighed and turned the sheets. It was their pictures, afterwards. So many memories.

"You have seen many childhood photos of me and Jimmy. This album includes Ryan's too", she smiled.

"This photo was taken in the backyard garden. We were watering plants. Ryan started this shit. Splashing water on each other", she laughed , showing me a series of pictures that lead to the final picture of three kids smiling at the camera, with missing teeth and hands on each other's shoulders, completely drenched.

But the one that got me rolling on the floor was a picture where Ryan was pulling Jimmy’s shorts down, his baby butts showing. His face was red with embarrassment while Ryan's was full of amusement.

“Ah cramps”, I sat up clutching my stomach that was aching from laughing too hard.

And there were many other pictures telling old stories, their first’s, their most embarrassing moments, you name it.

Even though I was laughing so hard, there was a pang of sadness from not getting to see any of my life’s moments pictured like this. The only picture I could get hold of when they moved me to the orphanage was my parent’s wedding photo. Nothing more. No albums. No stories to tell.

**********

Sorry for this laaaate update. I wrote this chapter for five times. Five freaking times. All my before drafts, got deleted.

To add fuel to fire, my account got hacked *poor me*

But amidst all these obstacles, I've managed to publish this chapter today. You know why?? Cause, it's my b'day( 21 st Sept). I am turning 18.
* rubbing my full tummy becoz of the feast* Whooho. Exciting :)

STAY BLESSED xD

Vote. Comment. Fan <3

Withs loves and kisses.....

Nisha Amol♡♥♡