Epilogue

Annabeth's POV

Beep

Beep

Beep

    Kaylee's heart monitor was beeping at a steady pace. This was all my fault. I should have tried to stop her. My family was okay, a little scratched up from the jump, but now they could walk freely around the house. Kaylee began to stir.
   "Kaylee?" I whispered, "hey, it's okay, don't move, I'll get a nurse and then I'll be right back." Before I could go, in a hoarse voice, she said,
    "Wait."
    "I promise I'll be right back-"
    "Why would you lie to me? I thought I was going to leave Annabeth. I thought I was free." She choked on the last word.
    "Kaylee, I couldn't let you leave! It's my job to keep you here. I'm sorry." I ducked my head. If I hadn't let her go, falsely of course, then we wouldn't be here right now. The man who shot her was executed already.
    "How could you Annabeth? Did you're family know?" Tears slid down her cheek as she spoke, "I-I trusted you."
    I swallowed, "N-no they didn't know. It had to be real to all of you, or you would know something was up..." I trailed off.
    "I thought I could trust you," She croaked.
   "You can! I couldn't let you go, I'd get in trouble."
   "You could have come with us! We would have made it! I could be with my family again! Now I'll never be allowed out again. I'll be horribly punished. This is your fault. I never want to see or talk to you again! Get out!" She was screaming at the end.
    "Kaylee-"
    "Go away!" She cried as she screamed.
    I sighed and went to call her father.
•••
  By the time we came back, Kaylee had fallen back asleep. She still had tears in her cheeks. I would have wiped them away but she would wake up. I sat in the chair next to her, and started to get comfortable. I had to make her understand why I did it. I began reading my book, and got deeply into it when her heart monitor went crazy. It was beeping all over the place. Nurses rushed in and began checking her. She wasn't breathing. I was shoved out of the room, and they where trying to get her to breath. It wasn't working. I began to cry.

    The line went dead.

    The nurses kept trying, but she was gone. I slid down the wall and sobbed. I curled into a ball. This was my fault. My fault. My fault. My fault. My fault. I could have stopped this. My last conversation with her, and she said she never wanted to see me again. She...left without saying good bye. She left hating me. I sobbed even harder. I could hardly breath, but I didn't care. The nurses tried to calm me down, but I just continued crying. Mr. Razzill came down, I think he tried to talk to me, but I didn't hear him.

Beep. Beep. Beep. She was breathing.

She was alive.

•••••••*****•••••••^^^^^^^•••••••••^^^^^^^••••••*****
And that, is the end of Kidnapped at Five. Thank you all for reading, voting and commenting. Any questions? I'll answer them in the next, and final chapter of KA5.

Signing off,
-Maria