Prologue.

I feel the sun on my face. I see trees all around me, scent of wildflowers on a breeze. I feel the wind in my strawberry blond hair and hear it whistling through the trees. It's so beautiful. In this moment, I'm not stranded in space. It's been 97 years since a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone on Earth, leaving the planet simmering in radiation. Fortunately, there were survivors at the time of the bombs. There is now only The Ark, one station forged from the many. We're told the Earth needs another 100 years to become survivable again and man can go home, back to the ground. The ground, that's the dream. This is reality.

Reality Sucks.

-

Here I am, sitting on the floor of my cell, in the skybox. Awaiting the day of my trial to see if I get floated it not. I already know I most likely am to be floated. And for some weird reason, I don't care.

My mother is dead, my father is the one who locked me up and killed her. My best friend, Finn Collins, is locked up in the skybox as well. My other friend, Raven Reyes, is a mechanic, she's from Mecha station.

Everything in this space station is surrounded by laws. Don't go in there, don't do this, don't do that. You can't steal this and that. All of the laws. Laws that got a lot of us locked up for no reason. Petty theft, alcohol consumption while under age, assault on guards (who most probably deserved it). And many more. But others were locked up for more serious crimes.

Like spacewalking and wasting three months of oxygen, that was Finn. He decided to do a spacewalk. But it wasn't actually him, he wanted to give Raven the chance to do what she thought she couldn't because of some health reason. So when the guards came, he took the blame while she ran. He did it for her because she was already 18.

When you commit a crime and are under 18 you get put in the skybox, and await your trial. If you are over 18, most are floated.

Floated. Something no one wants. They put you in an air lock the open it sending you flying out into an abyss of blackness. Space.

I have a few months until then, until the council, including my father, decides if I get pardoned or floated. And a part of me wishes to be floated. I know they will not let Finn live and well, he's my best friend. My older brother, that's not related. And if he gets floated, I want to too. But the other part of me knows I can't leave Raven. She's my sister, also not related. But they are my family, besides my dad.

So here I am, doing nothing as usual. Awaiting the day. My cell is boring, grey walls, bed, most of it is grey. I have a small window that I can see a little bit of Earth.

None of the less, it was boring. I can only see a bit of Earth. But I have made knives and other weapons, most of which has been confiscated besides my pocket knife my father gave to me right before I was locked up. I was surprised he had given it to me as he was so into following the rules and laws.

I twist the pocket knife in my hand, staring boredly at the wall. I hear my door being opened. I put my knife in my pocket. I look up and see my dad and another guard. "Daddy?"

"Beth. Here, you need to change." He says to me handing me one of my old bags. I look at him confused. "You need this on." he says and puts a metal cuff on my wrist. I hiss in pain.

"What? Why what's going on?" I ask him, confused as I take the bag from his hand.

"I will explain in a minute, Get changed, we will wait outside." He says then the guard and him leave, closing my door.

I decide to do what he says and change. I change into a black tank top, a grey overshirt, a blue and black jacket, a pair of black jeans, and combat boots.

I put my other clothes in the bag and walk out of the room. Dad is standing there alone now. I see other guards taking delinquents out of their cells. All 100 of us.

"Daddy, what's going on?" I ask him, looking at him quite confused.

"Keep this bag with you. Don't let anyone touch it." He says.

"What is happening?"

"Beth, you're being sent Earth." He says.

I look at him in shock, I look around and across the skybox and see Clarke with her mom. "You and Clarke need to stick together. I can't lose you too." he says.

"You're killing us all by doing this." I say to him, my face holding no emotion.

"We're saving you by doing this. Beth, I need you to understand." He tells me. I nod. I don't understand why they are doing this. It's killing us all. "Good, now. You need to go with the guards to the drop ship." He says. He pulls me into a hug, which is something he rarely does. "I love you Beth." I nod and he let's go of me.

I walk away with him with the bookbag still in my hands. I follow the guards to the drop ship. One of them puts me next to a brunette. I give her a small smile which she returns.

After I hear the door downstairs close. I know we are about to be launched. I look at the girl. "Get ready for one hell of a ride." I say to her. She gives me a slightly worried look. "I won't let anything happen to you. I'm Beth by the way."

"I'm Octavia." She says. I knew who she was, well once she told me her name. She's a second child. Her mother was floated about a year ago. She screamed louder than I ever heard anyone being floated scream. And I wasn't even there when they did it. But I heard it.

"I love your name." I say to her with a genuine smile.

"Thanks." she says after a second.

We talked for a few minutes then it went silent between us.

We were just awaiting our gate on a radiation soaked Earth.

👑

So what do you all think? How was the prologue? Beth and Octavia will become like best friends. Other than Finn and Raven, and Beth. Thanks for reading. Bye.

-Kelly.