CHAPTER 2. THE NEXT DAY

"You look like crap" Arin said as we entered the morgue "Like, even more than you should"

"Gee, thanks" I yawned, stretching my arms upward.

That morning, I lay on my bed with sore muscles. I was so exhausted from all that running and panicking I fell asleep the moment I laid my head on the pillow. No dreams, no nightmares, just darkness.

Coming to a decision, I told myself to forget everything that happened. Russians with suits and guns, the Mafiya, perhaps. Experience made it clear that you don't mess with people from their side.

"Seriously, your eye bags are even bigger than mine—and I spend my nights reading on the latest scandals"

"Well, I decided to do some studying. Actual studying"

She laughed "What kind of intern studies? Oh, your name tag's crooked"

"Hm? Oh" I began to fix it "Do you have any vapor rub? I think I left mine at home"

"Ew, who carries vapor rub?"

"I do. I need it sometimes, remember? Sometimes allergies stuff my nose and I just need to have some heat on my chest" I said as we made our way towards Allen who was removing the blanket off one of the bodies.

"Hey, ready for lunch?"

He shook his head as he began to write on his clipboard "Almost. Let me just finish up here"

I examined the corpse. It was an overweight old man with purple lips and paling skin, he had scars and bruises decorating his bare body. I recognized it as one of the patients who were in a coma; I think he's been on life support for 3 years "No family?"

"No"

"Poor bastard" Arin bit into a Twix bar she pulled out from my coat pocket "So where do you guys want to eat? All the good patients don't come until after lunch"

"Hm... I'm craving for some Italian, how about at Poppies'?" Allen offered.

I squinted my eyes, my skin crawling. Italian, the Mafia. After the ordeal last night, I wanted a break from anything that could remind me of those men "Uh, no. Let's just go to a café or something"

Arin shrugged "Whatever" I swiped the candy from her hand and finished it, chewing strongly as I stared at the body. The image of the Russian guy kicking the dying man... I shook my head. I had to forget about it.

This time, I accepted the twins' offer for a ride. Both were surprised but I told them I figured it was safer to ride home when it was almost midnight. I doubted that they believed me though.

"Try not to look like total crap tomorrow, okay? Get some rest" Arin had rolled down the window as I made my way to building's entrance.

"Yes, ma'am" I waved and went inside.

As usual, after unlocking apartment, I placed my keys in the bowl. But then, something caught my eye. I blinked. The butterfly was facing the wrong way.

Call me neurotic but I always made sure the butterfly faced due east, towards the windows of the living room. Gulping, I picked it up. Someone was inside my apartment. Okay, let's just calm down, girl. There's no way they'd get to you so quickly, they don't even have an ID—

There was rushed rapping at the door, and with a gasp, I almost dropped the figure.

"[Name], you in there? OPEN UP!" I sighed, it was just Gilbert. Putting the butterfly back on its place, turned to the windows, I went to welcome Gilbert inside.

"Gilbert. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"You have any maple syrup?"

"Maple syrup? You do know it's half past eleven at night, right?"

He tilted his head, I rolled my eyes and stepped aside to let him in. I should've known better. He's not really the sanest of people.

"Saw you got out that car" He said, pulling out the syrup from the fridge "Since when did you get a boyfriend?"

"A couple of friends gave me a ride home"

"Ah, scared of getting mugged again, huh?"

I licked my teeth "Maybe"

"Hey, y'know, I can teach you self-defense. Just the basics, if you want" He chopped the air with his hands, mimicking those guys in Chinese action films.

I snorted "Thanks, but I think I'll stick to carpooling"

"Whatever. Just trying to be an awesome friend" He strode towards the door but I grabbed his wrist.

"Wait"

He turned with a raised eyebrow "What?"

"I..." I took a deep breath "Yeah, I am scared. Do you mind if I stay at your place, even if it's just for tonight?"

He blinked before laughing, slapping my behind casually like he always did "Of course, you can. What's mine is yours, right?" Damn. I was beginning to regret telling him that when I moved in.