CHAPTER 3. THE HITMAN

I crouched behind a tree, waiting for the guard. I reached for one of the pockets in my belt. The guard passed the tree. I threw the garrote overhead.

"Arghk! Uuk..." He dropped his rifle and clawed at his neck.

Despite being over six feet and having Ludwig's build, the man didn't have the strength to put up a decent fight, or maybe it was just the anger flowing throughout my veins, but either way, I felt the life drain away from his body as his struggles became less and less efficient against me.

"Hide the body" Arthur whispered, reappearing from his hiding spot from behind one of the trucks.

"Really? I wouldn't have thought of that" I hissed, dragging the corpse away from sight.

"Couldn't you wait until you get out alive before you start having a snarking contest, you idiots?" Gilbert said through my earpiece.

"Have you located her yet?" I asked.

"No, but she's somewhere in the third floor, right side"

The building had fifteen stories.

"So much for the tallest tower" Arthur snickered.

"Shut up" I threw him my backpack, "You scale the wall, I'll take the door"

"Why do I have to scale the wall?"

"Because we already tossed a coin and you lost"

We split up and I snuck inside, my guns strapped to my sides and a knife ready in my hand. Most of Ivan's men were former militants, so they were a tough bunch compared to most of my targets, but if they get in the way, I'll kill each and every one of them.

I managed to get through the first floor without a hitch, but when I stepped into the second, three men armed with knives were already waiting for me.

I sighed.

"I guess I have to deal with you guys" I flipped the knife, "So, who's first?"

One by one, they charged like bulls.

I dodged a punch, "Too slow!" and then slashed the knife across his eyes with enough force to damage his corneas. I kicked him to the floor and spun around to block a blow from behind.

I could see the bead of sweat rolling down his forehead. I grinned, "This is just too easy" I swiped his knife away and threw him over my shoulder, making sure he fell right on top of the other guy.

"Don't get cocky, kid!" The third guy wrapped his arms around my neck, but I anticipated this and swung my legs forward and then drew my feet to his knees. He lost his balance and I heaved myself out of his hold, landed on my hands, and then lifted my feet to his chest.

I landed into a kneeling position, spontaneously pulling out and removing the safety of my gun. Before any of the dumb muscles could move, I shot each of them twice: in the chest, and then, in the head.

"Right back at 'cha, old man" I chuckled, putting it back in its holster. I rolled my shoulder, "But I guess I am getting kinda rusty"

"That I cannot argue"

My face, as I pictured it in my mind, underwent three expressions. The first was shock, with my adorable blue eyes wide as plates. Second was perplexed with my brows uneven. Third, amusement. I couldn't stop the grin as I said her name, "Natalya..."

"Alfred" She was glaring at me.

"I guess it's true what they say, the horrible ones always die last"

"That is gold coming from a sociopathic mercenary such as yourself"

"Can't say I missed you, but it is nice to know I get to have the second chance of killing you fairly"

She gritted her teeth, "Same to you"