CHAPTER 2. THE TARGET

Your face was on fire, you took a couple of more breaths, enough to calm you down and make you realize that it wasn't flames but burning tears.

The cell had more darkness than it had light, which was provided by a dim light bulb from the leaky ceiling. It took much effort not to think about whether or not you were underground, but you had no company with you and the only thing in the room was a mattress on the floor.

You paced around the place often.

Without a clock or a window, you couldn't remember just how many days have passed since you were kidnapped, but with nothing but a mattress in an old prison cell it felt a lot like time was on a standstill. You began to wonder how much longer before you could leave, or die. What very little food they gave you came only twice since you were thrown inside your cell. You pursed your lips, dry and chapped, water was more frequent but you had suspicions of where it came from and only drank when your most primal side took over.

You begged and pleaded and prayed, on your knees and on your hands for hours without end, to a God who was hopefully listening.

Relief, if one could call it that, came when you heard heavy doors opening and metal keys clinking together. It meant someone else was with you, even if just for a few seconds to provide you with just enough nutrients not to starve to death.

"Cara?" You heard Luciano call out. This was the first time he has come down to speak with you since getting off the plane.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad to see you"

Even with just the dying light, you could make out his features stretch in surprise "Really?"

"'Glad' is really more of a relative term, I'm just less scared now that there's another human being with me down here"

"You're not underground" He said, he must've sensed the calm panic you tried to hide with crossed arms.

"I'm not? Well, now I'm really glad" Your arms dropped to your sides and your shoulders rolled over.

"...[Name]"

You said nothing in return.

"I'm the only one here who's ever going to talk to you longer than two seconds, and that's without telling you it's time to eat"

You sighed, angry that he was right. He wasn't your favorite company in the world, but you couldn't stand being bored and afraid anymore. As much as you wanted to pretend that he was dead to you, you needed Luciano right now.

"Is it true?" you asked.

"What is?"

"Did your grandfather really..." When you were still dating, Luciano told stories about his grandfather all the time, but that shooting was your first and last meeting with the Godfather of the Vargas family.

"Ivan killed him" He reaffirmed, his tone was flat and lacked the melancholy you expected from him.

"What happened, Luciano?" You took a step closer, genuinely curious and admittedly worried.

"This and that. The Russians decided it was time to take over and since my grandfather was the boss of Europe's underground empire, Ivan put him down"

"You don't sound upset"

He looked away.

"I can finally take over the business without him in the way"

You blinked and stared at him wide-eyed "Luciano, how could you say that? He's your grandfather!" And more than that, from the way Luciano spoke of him, there was not just respect and family love in his face and voice but adulation...

Almost like he wanted to be his grandfather.

Putting away your pride you whispered his name with the most affectionate and worried look on your eyes, in spite of everything that has happened, there were many good memories with this man "Luciano..."

"Are you paying attention?" Something cold hit the side of your face and you realized that you've been spacing out. You were tied to a chair, in a white room with white-tiled walls. Trying not to hyperventilate by taking slow and even breaths, you just realized that you were alone with one of Russia's most psychotic.

You glanced up to meet Natalya's angry glare.

"It's no fun if you're ignoring me" She said, eyes looking darker by the second. She then uncrossed her arms and leaned down. She whispered something to your ear.

You were confused, but she didn't give you much time to think. When you didn't answer, she said it louder this time, "What's one thousand less seven?"

Author's note: For those who haven't read or watched or finished Tokyo Ghoul, I'll explain chapter later. For those who know what the ending meant: MY GAWD, I'M CRYING!