CHAPTER 2. THE KIDNAPPING

"How do you know Luciano?"

You almost drop the umbrella that you were in the process of unfolding. You look at him like he just grew out a second head "How... how do you know him?"

He ignores the question but you already know why: they come from the same world. The world where economy collides with violence and power.

"You two used to date" He pulls out his phone and shows you a five-year-old picture of you and Luciano back in Florence.

"Well, yeah, but... why the Hell would you even..."

"You used to date that mafia boss" He gets closer, so close you could really feel the difference in height "You used to date him"

You're just about ready to run "Yeah. Look, Alfred, I—" You gasp, your side is tingling but you can't even count the seconds before it sears throughout your body. The air crackles with electric blue light. Alfred's face is unreadable when he catches you right before everything turns black.

Crackle... crackle...

The crackling is the first thing you hear, feel and remember upon opening your eyes.

You blink once. Three times. You look, but you don't see a ceiling, you see bars.

You quickly sit yourself up, paying no mind to the pounding in your skull and chest.

Left, right. Everywhere. Bars everywhere. Solid, black metal bars that are too close for comfort, looking indestructible.

Now I know how rabbits feel.

No time for jokes, you scold yourself.

You try to see if you could stand up in the cage but end up discovering three things: 1) the cage is half your height, 2) you're surrounded by stuffed toys, and 3) you're wearing a sheer white night gown.

"I closed my eyes when I washed you, don't worry, I read about Greek myths, too" You look away from your sleeves and find Alfred entering the room, which is empty aside from your cage and the futon next to it.

"Eat up" He kneels down before you and slides a tray under one of the bars "Eat up. You've been out for quite some time"

"And 'some time' is how many days exactly?" You ask calmly. Acting scared or aggressive wouldn't help you in your situation.

Alfred laughs quietly, so quietly it's frightening "Your friends already filed a missing person report"

"Alfred, why are you doing this?" You ask straightly, grabbing onto the bars.

Alfred looks at you "Because this is the only way I can keep you safe. No other assassin would even think another contractor has you, and I'll kill anyone who does"

"And these are...?" You gesture around, hitting a stuffed a puffin in the beak.

"Oh, that. I wasn't sure what to get you, but I found a stuffed giraffe in your bedroom one time. I thought... I thought maybe they would bring you comfort"

"Freedom would give me comfort"

"I'm sorry, but this is the only way I can make sure you're safe"

"By chaining me up?"

"Technically, I'm just keeping you in a cage"

"Alfred"

He stands, chuckling. You can't help but think that there's definitely something wrong with the way this kid's brain functions.

"I have some errands to run. So eat up and make yourself comfortable" He says before shutting the only door and exit of the room.

You pull a stuffed oatmeal-colored pup into your arms and finally let the tears come out.

You woke up to find Alfred's sleeping form resting next to the cage. You stare at him for a while, wondering what his true motive is for keeping you prisoner.

His eyes open and you gasp softly, surprised.

"Watching me sleep?" He teases.

"You've been awake this whole time" You say.

He grins and rolls over his back, "I can only sleep for three hours at most. Most of the time my eyes are wide open"

"...What are you doing here?"

"How could I sleep on a bed when I know you're in a cage on the floor?"

Is he trying to enforce Stockholm Syndrome?

"Why..." You trail off.

"You ask why, but I've told you numerous times before" He says.

"I'm sure there's more to this than just 'to keep me safe'" You retort.

He chuckles, but falls quiet. The air is still before he speaks again "People have a nasty habit of disappearing from my life. Both literally and metaphorically"

You say nothing.

"...I've decided" He continues, looking at you "That I'll keep them by my side forever and always"

You glance at his eyes and you see a mixture of regret and determination in that sea of blue.