CHAPTER 3. THE HIT

It was a busy week at the hospital.

"Another chain accident. This time some kids decided to have their very own unauthorized auto racing event. I don't know what goes on in their heads" Our resident, Dr. Moreno, spoke as we walked down the hall "Now, try not to fight over any patients. I have enough headaches to deal with"

"She wasn't kidding" I rubbed my hands together once we got inside the ER where numerous patients were being reeled in stretchers by the nurses "It's like an eat-all-you-can buffet. With blood" A gurney passed by me, a teenager had a foot-long pipe sticking out of his thigh "Lots of blood. And better"

"Dibsonthatone" Arin ran after the kid.

I followed suit "Hey, I saw him first!" I tried to shove Arin out of the way but she elbowed my side.

"Ow!" I gasped, bumping against a pole of IV fluids and my coat getting caught on one of the hooks. When I moved, my name tag fell on the ground. Before I could bend down to pick it up, however, a nurse stepped on it.

"Oh, sorry" He muttered but didn't bother to help me pick up the pieces. Eye twitching, I faced Arin.

She grinned sheepishly "Sorry...?"

"Just for that, you're coming with me to the lockers"

"But, but can't you just wait until we finish here?" She pleaded.

"Baby doll eyes won't work on me. You know Moreno hates it when we're not wearing our name tags" I clamped my fingers over her shoulder and dragged her away.

We eventually reached the locker room but I couldn't find my back-up tag.

"Great, just great. Moreno's going to roast my ass for this" I returned my clothes and extra scrubs back inside the locker "What am I supposed to do now?" I turned but found no one "Arin?"

Cautiously, I stepped outside but found the halls bare. I hated the locker rooms because it was usually empty and was only a floor above the morgue "Arin?"

In the past two days I've been so engaged at work, the entire incident with the Russians faded into the back of my mind, but now...

"Hey" I jumped when a hand fell on my shoulder. I spun around, ready to fight back, only to find Arin with her phone.

"Someone's jumpy" She teased.

I breathed "Arin... Where were you?"

"I was in the morgue. Remember that hot guy in Room 1001?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well, I heard from Josh that he just died" She then turned to her phone "I took a picture of his corpse" She showed me a poorly-lit photo of the body of the young man she used to flirt with "What a waste, am I right?"

"You're a creep"

Yes, it was a busy week for all of us.

More and more patients came and went. Hours of washing cuts and sewing up wounds passed, but after observing a hernia operation it was time for lunch.

"Oh, crap" Arin stopped walking.

"What?" Allen and I asked in unison.

"My pager..." She patted her coat and pants "I think I might've left it somewhere"

"Honestly, Arin" Allen pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Did you leave it in the ER?"

"No, I had it with me when I was stitching up Herbert the Fifteen-year-old Pervert"