CHAPTER 3. THE CONFESSION

Three days. You've been stuck here for three days, not counting the time when you were unconscious after Alfred tasered you.

You place your hand over your stomach, which you've been depriving of food. You have refused to eat anything Alfred served you, simply dousing down the glass of water that came with the meal. However, you're only human, and you're close to your limit.

"Why won't you just eat?" Alfred asks, sounding irked "I told you countless of times before that I haven't put anything 'special' in your food. There are other much more fun ways to get rid of a person, you know" He jokes, but his laughter dies soon. On his face, a straight look "You'll die at this rate. Eat" He pushes the bowl of mashed sweet potatoes with kale and cheese inside the cage.

Unable to resist, you reply, "Stop acting like Gray"

He raises his eyebrow but then laughs, "I didn't think you were the kind of woman who watched chick flicks"

"I didn't expect you to get the reference" You retort, but you're neither smiling nor giggling.

He shrugs and gets up "I'll come back to get the dishes"

You watch him leave until he closes the door behind him. You turn your attention to your dinner. Once again, he only brought you a plastic spork. As expected of a hitman, he knew you'd try and use a fork to pick the lock.

You then hear your stomach complain.

You shush it and pick up the glass of chilled water, chugging it all down.

___

"Oi..." Alfred is kneeling down beside the cage. His face is unreadable as he stares at your weakened form.

Lying on your side with your arms and legs pulled to your chest, which is hammering like crazy, you're sure you've lost five pounds already. Your bones feel so brittle and your skin so dry. The circles around your eyes are double the size they used to be.

"You haven't eaten anything for the last six days" Alfred whispers. He says something else, but you are unable to hear it.

With a click of his tongue, he reaches for something in his back pocket, "You're really willing to starve yourself to prove a point?" He sighs.

You hear the door swing open and feel a hand grab your elbow and pull you into a pair of arms.
You don't struggle. You're too weak to even speak.

"I thought you were smarter than this", He mutters before picking up the spork.

"Open your mouth" He orders, bringing a serving of pumpkin soup to your face.

Unable to resist the smell of food, you do as he says, but you're only able to do it slightly.

Slowly, and with such gentleness it seems so odd on him, Alfred puts the spork in your mouth and you relish the taste and texture of the soup.

Eventually, you've emptied the bowl.

Alfred, however, still has you in his arms. You try to think of an escape, but in your state, you know it's too risky.

"Is it okay" He begins "to ask you a question?"

You don't say anything.

"You... you loved Luciano, and he loved you. Tell me" He makes eye contact "If I told you I like you, is there a chance you'll end up feeling the same way?"

Again, you say nothing, but this time it is because of shock.

He laughs dryly and pulls away, "I guess that's a stupid question" He lets go of you and gets up, "See you"

He leaves, this time, with you finally free. However, you stay on the floor, unable to comprehend what just happened and unsure of what he's planning.

A couple of minutes, or maybe an hour, passed until you decide to get out before Alfred changes his mind.

Forcing yourself up, you almost fall down a couple of times as you make your way towards the door.

Upon reaching the hallway, you smile despite the situation, enjoying the different view for once.

Gasping and panting softly, you pass a half-open door. Curious, you take a peek and see that it leads to a room that looks like it's never been touched. By chance, you find Alfred lying facedown on a single-sized bed, which is also the only thing that looks like it's been cleaned.

Quickly, you spin around.

However, you find yourself unable to take a step forward.

After a lot of contemplating, you finally decide with a tired sigh. You begin to walk.

Alfred opens his eyes upon hearing footsteps.

"What are you doing?" He asks as he watches you lie down next to him.

"Not disappearing" You reply, putting your arms beneath your head.

"Don't think you can pity me" He says, trying to sound threatening, but whatever sentiments he has, they do not reach your dizzied mind.

"I guess we're both unpredictable, Mr. Jones" You say, closing your eyes.

Upon waking up, you're no longer in an old, rotting room. Instead, you're in a place with such a familiar scent there's no mistaking it.

"Finally awake?" The lady in the Minnie Mouse scrubs smiles kindly.

Yes, you're back in your church and home, the hospital.

"Um..." You start "Is Miss and Mister Rosewater here?"

The nurse nods and looks at the door "The twins refused to leave the hospital until they saw you wake up. They stayed up all night"

You can't help but smile, but then your eyes fall on a pot of white flowers on a chair by the window.

"What is it? Oh" The nurse smiles sweetly "A young man brought it here. They're heathers"

Your eyes widen.

"White heather" You realize. Flowers meaning protection.