CHAPTER 1. THE WEEK AFTER

"All right, here we are" Alfred says.

He turns to you, his umbrella almost getting caught in your hair.

"No kidding, Captain Obvious" You mutter, but he doesn't hear it.

You hold your umbrella a little higher "Thanks again"

"No problem"

You take a step forward but he has your wrist in his hand.

You look at him.

He looks like he wants to say something. He licks his lips, but every time he opens his mouth he just closes it again.

"You do know I still have some life-saving to do, right?" You say it with a small grin, though neither of you laugh.

Alfred inhales and he opens his mouth again "I—"

You gasp and Alfred curses when a sleek red car splashes freezing muddy water on both of you.

"Are you okay?" You ask.

"Yeah..." He's pouting.

"You should go home now, change into something dry before you get a cold, or you know, pneumonia" You feel like a nagging mom.

He looks upset for some reason, but does so anyway.

You walk inside the building, trying to recall how he of all people has been escorting you to work and picking you up after.

Hours Earlier

"I'm a hitman" Alfred says, pouring lemon water in a glass. He had carried you all the way back to your apartment. And he answered the silent question that made itself appear on your face the moment you woke up after passing out in his arms.

He waits for you to say something. Or do something. He thinks you're going to scream or cry.

However, your reply is nothing like what he expects.

"I know" You nod.

He hesitates, pretty face looking genuinely innocent for once.

"Your eyes... they remind me of someone I know—knew" You correct yourself immediately before you continue, though Alfred definitely saw the look of regret on your face, "always carrying blood lust in their eyes"

He doesn't ask about that person, and you're more than glad with that.

You stare at your reflection on the surface of the water "Are you going to kill me, too?"

He pauses "...What do you think?"

You finger twitches "I think..." you look up "that you're too unpredictable, Mr. Jones. And I didn't major in psychology"

Unexpectedly, he smiles.

It's a teasing, playful, but not one bit malicious. "I am unpredictable, aren't I?"

___

You sigh, slamming your locker close.

You feel a familiar weight on your shoulders, the scent of oranges hurting your nose.

"What's with that sigh?" Arin giggles right next to your ear "What could Mrs. Robinson possibly have to sigh about?"

"I see that you found yourself a boyfriend, though he's a bit younger than we approve, we're happy for you" Allen joins in.

"Will you guys shut up? I have a headache" You don't tell them about the incident. You haven't told them a thing of what's been happening lately. You don't need that kind of attention.