10- Poor Sick Souls

Merlin woke up the next day feeling terrible. Gaius examined him and announced his diagnosis.

Merlin had a cold.

"Oh, Arthur's going to love that," Merlin said sarcastically. He coughed and laid back in the pillows.

"If you hadn't dived into the creek to save Arthur-"

"-he would've died," Merlin finished. "I won't mind putting up with him. It's worth it."

"Gaius?" Gwen's voice carried.

Gaius went into the main room and said, "Hello, Gwen. Something wrong?"

"Yes. It's Arthur. I think he's come down with a cold."

The two of them heard Merlin laughing from his room. Gaius turned back to Gwen and said quietly, "Merlin is sick as well."

Gwen nodded understandingly and laughed herself. "I suppose George will have to fill in for Merlin."

Merlin smiled when he heard this. He personally didn't like the servant, but it amused him to see Arthur awkwardly give him commands.

~~~

Arthur looked down from his throne to Merlin, who was on a bent knee before him.

"What you did was unforgivable," Arthur spat. "You will die for what you've done."

"Please, Sire," Merlin wept softly. "I used it for you. Only for you."

"It doesn't matter!" Arthur shouted, and it felt as if the room shook. "It still doesn't change the fact that you have magic." He drew his sword and lunged toward his manservant, only to be thrown across the room.

Merlin stood up and wiped his tears with the back of his sleeve. Arthur saw a dark look in his eyes that didn't suit him at all.

"Well, if this is how you want it," he said in a dark tone that matched his eyes, "so be it! Hleap on baec!"

Arthur was thrown against one of the pillars, and he groaned as he got up. He reached for his sword, but Merlin raised it and held it against Arthur's throat with his magic. He marched up to his King until they were only a couple inches apart.

"I want you to feel what all my people have felt under your tyranny, as well as your father's," Merlin whispered.

Arthur felt the sword slowly penetrate his skin.

"No! Merlin!" Arthur gasped. He was so shaken by his dream that he fell onto the floor. He coughed violently as he untangled himself from the mess of blankets. He at last was freed and walked over to the window, staring out at the hills surrounding Camelot. Arthur could still feel the blade of his sword on his neck. He looked down just to make sure it wasn't there.

Gwen and Gaius entered the room. "Arthur, you should be laying down," Gwen scolded gently.

Arthur turned to her and she and Gaius were surprised to see tears running down his face. "I had a terrible dream," he choked.

~~~

Merlin's coughing fit at last subsided, and he closed his eyes for the hundredth time, finally drifting to sleep.

Merlin knelt before a frowning Arthur.

"What you did was unforgivable," the King spat. "You will die for what you've done."

"Please, Sire," Merlin wept softly. "I used it for you. Only for you."

"It doesn't matter!" Arthur shouted, and it felt as if the room shook. "It still doesn't change the fact that you have magic." He drew his sword and lunged toward Merlin, but the servant held out his hand and sent Arthur flying.