12- True Freedom

Arthur leaned against one of the stone pillars and sank to the ground. He rubbed his eyes sleepily and groaned when he saw the sun starting to rise. Aithusa sat up and stretched, her skin reflecting the sunlight. The King put up a hand to shield his eyes.

"I give up, Morgana," Arthur whined.

Morgana looked stiff when she rose from the throne and walked over to him. She knelt down so the two of them were eye level. "I'll give you a hint. You've already mentioned him."

"Then why didn't you say so?" Arthur huffed. "Who is it?"

Morgana smirked. "You tell me." She straightened herself up and walked over to one of the large windows.

Arthur rolled his eyes. "Let's see..." he muttered. "It's not Leon, not Percival, definitely not Gwaine, not Elyan, not Gaius...who else is there?"

~~~

Merlin rode hard all night, only stopping once to give his horse a rest. Relief swept over him when he saw Camelot in the distance. As he spurred his horse on, he prayed he wouldn't be too late.

~~~

Arthur joined Morgana at the window. "Alright, Morgana. I've had enough. Who is it?"

Morgana cast a smile at him, but said nothing. It took everything Arthur had to keep himself from strangling her.

"Well, if thats how you want it..." Arthur started to draw his sword, but thought better of it and placed it back in its sheath. Morgana nodded approvingly.

"I see you're learning, Arthur," she said. "Perhaps you're not as dumb as it seems."

Arthur smiled sardonically in response and looked out the window. Morgana walked over to Aithusa and fed her.

Arthur saw Merlin nearing the citadel and suddenly something clicked inside his head. Memories flashed before his eyes.

The beast heading straight towards him when out of nowhere a spear struck it dead.

The dagger pointing straight to his heart, about to kill him when he was dragged to the ground by Merlin.

Merlin surviving the Dorocha's attack.

Merlin pleading, "No, Arthur, this isn't your destiny!"

Merlin confessing he was a sorcerer before the council.

Merlin somehow knowing the chalice was poisoned.

The snakes coming forth from Valiant's shield.

Morgana's severe head injury miraculously cured.

Dragoon's odd behavior and seeming so familiar. Merlin unaccounted for during every encounter.

Dragoon the Great trying to cure his father, only for the spell to backfire. Again, Merlin was nowhere to be found.

Gaius telling him Merlin was either in the tavern or collecting herbs.

Arthur facing Queen Annis' champion, the giant somehow becoming weakened. Merlin's eyes when Arthur looked up at his servant.

The sword Arthur had pulled out of the stone. Merlin standing behind him, instead of with all the others.

Merlin telling Arthur he would be at his side as always, though rarely seeming to be present.

The vision in the crystal cave. Merlin standing on a mountaintop, eyes flashing gold.