Chapter 2

Braelin

I woke up to someone shaking me and groaned when I recognized the loud giggling. One by one my eyes fluttered open and Sam stood in front of me with a big grin.

"Wake up sis!"

"Why?"

"Mom and Lorenzo made pancakes and eggs. It's really good."

"I bet," I mumbled under my breath before sliding off my queen bed and placing my feet on the laminate floors. "I'll be down in a few minutes. Just let me change."

"Okay," he replied with a smile before running out the room yelling about pancakes. Rolling my eyes, I headed to my suitcase filled with clothes I had yet to unpack and picked out my jogging outfit. I slipped on the black athletic pants with my gray spots bra and Nike zip up jacket before I was finished. My next destination was the bathroom where I did my morning ritual and fought with my hair for a good five minutes before it finally gave up and went into a neat high ponytail. Here goes nothing, I mumbled to myself before leaving my peaceful sanctuary and to the kitchen. The first thing I heard was my mom's laughter before watching Lorenzo Chase her around the kitchen before pulling her into his embrace. He leaned down to give her a kiss before I cleared my throat having the two jump apart.

"Good morning Braelin," Lorenzo and my mom said with a grin.

"Morning," I muttered as Lorenzo handed me a plate of food and a glass of orange juice. "Thanks."

"No problem." I took a seat beside Sam at the table and wasted no time digging in. I resisted the urge to moan at how good they were but Lorenzo sure knew how to cook.

"So what do you guys think?" Lorenzo asked looking at me and I shrugged, taking a sip of my orange juice.

"It's alright," Sam's mouth dropped open in shock before he spoke up.

"She doesn't know what she's talking about. These are amazing way better than hers," he said and I smacked him upside his head causing Lorenzo to laugh.

"Thanks, little man," the two dapped each other up and I felt my stomach churn at the sight in front of me. Sam had already joined their perfect little family. Suddenly no longer feeling hungry, I pushed my food forward onto the table and stood up quickly.

"I'm going running I'll be back a little later."

"You run?" My mom asked smiling. "So does Lorenzo, maybe you two could go running toget--"

"No thanks," I said cutting her off and Sam nudged me as if reminding me to behave myself. Who was older again? "I mean... I prefer to run alone."

"But you don't know around here, what if you get lost?" She asked sounding worried and I almost broke out into applause. What a great actress. 

"I'm sure she'll be fine," Lorenzo said butting in. "The trail isn't that far from here and besides if she gets lost she can always call the house, I'll be here all day today. And when you get to the gate the password is 0203" 

"Well if you think she'll be safe then I guess I don't see any harm in it but put the house number in your phone," she said writing it down and handing me the slip of paper. "When will you be back?"

"I don't know," I muttered and she crossed her arms looking unimpressed. "An hour. An hour and a half max."

"Okay good, when you get back we can take you and your brother sight seeing."

"Sounds like fun," I muttered sarcastically before taking a glance at my brother who was still stuffing his face.

"You gonna be okay?" I asked and he nodded frantically making the syrup from his pancake drip down to his jaw. Wiping off his mouth I gave him a hug before leaning down to his ear. "If anything happens, what do you do?"