Chapter 19

I know I said this update was going to be long but last minute I decided to switch it up so yes it is short but more to come. An update this week will be long, not sure which one but one will be. This book is almost done, you guys but we still have a lot to cover so don't worry. Until then, ENJOY!

Braelin

I was scared, scratch that-- I was terrified. It was the night of the dinner and I had double checked everything to make sure it was perfect. Dinner? Good to go. My outfit? I was rocking blue jeans with a white undershirt and a gray cover up so it was safe to say, I looked great. But even after all that extra reassurance, I was still really nervous, what if Sam said the wrong thing or if my mom brought up an embarrassing moment from my childhood, I was praying she wouldn't do that. Relax Braelin, everything will be fine!

Checking the time for the third time, I took a deep breath trying to calm myself down. It was 6:55 and Cameron was supposed to be here around 7 pm. Speak of the devil, I thought to myself as the doorbell rang. Unable to help myself, I sprinted down the stairs and rushed to the door before anyone else could. Taking a quick glance to make sure my hair was fine, I swung the door open and leaned against the door frame casually. Cameron stood on the other side of the frame with flowers in one of his hands and I couldn't help but smile at the gesture.

"Hey."

"Hey, you look good," he said pulling me on for a hug before quickly pulling away causing me to frown slightly. That wasn't like him.

"Thanks, you too. Come on in." With a nod, he entered the house and immediately hung up his coat before we headed straight for the kitchen. My mom and Lorenzo were on opposite sides of the kitchen both cooking their own specialties but when they heard us enter both of their heads shot up. My mom was the first to react, wiping the flour from whatever she was making off her hand and onto the apron before sticking her hand out to Cameron.

"You must be Cameron."

"And you must be Braelin's mom and may I say you have done an amazing job raising her," he said and I fought the urge to roll my eyes and correct him. He sure was a kiss up.

"Thank you but I can't take all the credit, her father did the most and Braelin is her own woman who makes her own choices," she said looking over at me before clearing her throat and motioning to Lorenzo. "This is my fiancee, Lorenzo."

"Nice to meet you," Cameron said sticking out his hand and Lorenzo took it, shaking his hand firmly.

"The pleasure's mine. You look familiar, have I seen you before?"

"No sir but maybe my dad, David Wellington" Lorenzo's eyes widened in recognition and he nodded agreeing.

"That's it! I didn't realize you were David's son, how is he these days?"

"He's good," Cameron said not giving him direct eye contact and I could tell he was hiding something.

"Can you excuse us?" 

"Yeah, of course, Lorenzo and I will just put the food on the table," my mom said with a smile before I took Cameron by his hand and dragged him out the room. Once we were far enough, I took his hand into mine before looking up at him.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah everything is great, your folks are really great."

"You know that's not what I'm talking about. What's going on?"

"Don't worry about it," he said shrugging it off but I could tell it was really bothering him.

"Come on Cameron, talk to me."

"It's my dad," he started and I interjected.

"Is he okay?"

"Yeah he's fine," Cameron said I took a breath of relief, feeling myself calm down. "He just doesn't want us to be together." I take that back.

"What?" I asked confused. His dad didn't even know me.

"It has nothing to do with you personally it's just... Stacey and I only started dating because our families are close and my dad thought it would be good to pass the business on to his son and his most trustworthy associate. Neither of us argued with that logic so we dated and actually started falling for each other until last summer when Stacey starting changing, become more of a bitch then my lovesick mind could pretend wasn't there. Then I met you," he said and I bit my lip nervously before he continued. "And then I decided I was tired of being a business deal but my dad isn't like yours or Lorenzo, business is everything to him and if you aren't with him--"

"You against him," I finished and Cameron nodded. "So what are we going to do?"

"We?" He asked sounding shocked but in what seemed like a good way. "You still want to be with me?"

"What you think I'm going to let something like that stop me? No, I'm going to make your dad like me and then I'm going to deal with Stacey once and for all."

"Without violence right?" Cameron asked and I shrugged.

"We'll see."

"How did I get so lucky?" He asked pulling me into his embrace and I shrugged again not knowing what to say before finally shaking off the emotional baggage.

"Alright come on, it's time for dinner and for you to let everyone else know that soul food is the best."

"I don't know... Italian is pretty good," he said with a chuckle and I rolled my eyes before pulling him into the kitchen. 

"You'll regret those words blue eyes and I'm going to make sure of it!