Chapter 23

Almost late but I made it!!!! Whooo!!! Anywho read, enjoy, while I go have a victory dance. Unedited, I apologize.

Braelin 

I had decided not to look at the USB and I was slowly regretting it. It had been a week since I was back at school and 13 days since I had even said a word to Cameron and it was killing me. It wasn't as if he was ignoring me, oh no it was the complete opposite, he kept trying to talk to me and explain everything but at this point, I still wasn't ready to deal with him. 

Currently, I was in my gym class which happened to be the only class I had with him, Stacey (although since she had dropped off the USB had been a lot nicer) and Chad. Thankfully I still had Selena. We were stretching when Mr. Dennis, the teacher who was married to the black woman, walked in holding a clipboard.

"Alright, students gather around!" He yelled and we quickly headed over to where he was waiting for him to start. "Clearly I am not your normal gym teacher but he had a family emergency so I will be subbing in. With that being said, there are twenty of you so make four groups of five, we're playing basketball," he said clapping his hands and right as everyone started moving around, Chad spoke.

"Sir I didn't want to be the one who pointed it out but don't you think some people have a bigger advantage than the rest of us?" Chad asked causing everyone to chuckle except a few and I was surprised to see that one of them was Stacey. Hadn't she said the same thing before? 

"Chad be quiet," Stacey mumbled under her breath but he ignored her.

"No continue please," I said. "Right now, everything you have ever thought about me, let it out."

"I don't want to hurt your feelings, black girl."

"Try me," I said challenging him and he smirked. 

"Fine. Well first, I can't stand you, black people, you take steal everything and don't work for shit."

"Out of curiosity when was the last time you went to work?" I asked and he stayed silent. "Or had a job?" The silence continued. "That's what I thought. Continue."

"Okay well how about the fact your father is in jail. Black men don't know how to stick around."

"Oh my dad's in jail," I told him and he smirked proudly. "He works in the jail. My father is a police officer."

"That's not possible, my dad's a police officer," he said and suddenly something struck me.

"Let me guess, your officer Callaway's son?" I asked and he raised an eyebrow confused.

"How did you know that?"

"Because on my first day here, officer Callaway arrested me because I forgot the gate passcode to my home based on my skin color. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

"Look you dumb black nigger--"

"Watch you mouth young man!" Mr. Dennis yelled angrily.

"Why should I? That's what she is and frankly, I think everything would've been better if their kind was still in slavery at least then they had some respect," he spat and I couldn't help but smile.

"You have enough?" I asked Mr. Dennis and he nodded.

"Yup."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Chad asked and I couldn't help the laughter that had escaped my lips. No justice, no goddamn peace! 

"Well you see Chad, the school refused to do anything about what you wrote on my locker because apparently they didn't have any evidence and they didn't have any proof of you showing discrimination towards a student but now we do thanks to you and in front of a very big audience of witnesses at that."

"Wait, what?"

"And I think you missed something in your little rant Chad. Black people in your definition may be that but in mine, we're strong, smart and we fight for what's right. No justice, no peace."

"It doesn't even matter because no one in this room is brave enough to go up against me or my family," he said with a laugh and I could feel my spirit-deflating just a little bit. I hadn't thought that fully through. 

"I will," Selena said standing beside me, grabbing my hand in reassurance. 

"So will I," Dylan said taking Selena's hand.

"And so will I," Cameron said taking my other hand and I smiled at him, squeezing his hand lightly to let him know that I appreciated his support. A few other students stepped up and I was actually shocked at how many people in this school wanted to make a difference.

"I will too," Stacey said stepping up and I swore everyone's jaw dropped to the floor. She smiled sheepishly before clearing her throat, "I have to do what's right."

"Well isn't this sweet but this isn't going to do anything," he said and I shrugged.

"Maybe not but it will make a statement; Standing for something means you won't fall for anything and that includes racists teenage boys," before he could say anything else, Mr. Dennis dragged him out of the gymnasium and the room burst into cheer. I wasn't completely sure what had changed between my first day of school and now but apparently, I had made a difference and I wasn't about to stop here, but first. Grabbing my bag, I swung it over my shoulder before rushing out the gym and to the closest exit. I was almost at the door when Cameron yelled out to me.

"Braelin wait!"

"What's up?" I asked in a rush and he ran a hand through his dirty brown hair.

"I was hoping we could talk."

"Tomorrow, my place. We can talk then, okay?" I asked and he nodded before scrunching his eyebrows together curiously. 

"Sounds good but where are you going in such a rush!" He yelled down the hallway as I rushed and before I exited the doors I yelled.

"I have a USB to go look at!"

And then I was gone.