Chapter Seventeen: Gollum

Ever since her last visit to Practical Magik, Cordelia had been obsessively reading the book she'd purchased on Witchcraft.

According to the book, the origin of Witchcraft dated back to the beginning of the Earth itself. There were two types of witches: Magical witches and Practitioners.

Practitioners were humans born without magical abilities, but who possesed an afinity for magic. Most followed the Neopagan religion of Wicca, and could only use the three basic witch powers with external sources of powers.

Cordelia figured that was what she would eventually become if she continued going down this path.

But then she got to the chapter about Magical witches.

Magical witches are born with the ability to use magic. Contrary to popular belief, witches don't receive their powers from demons and do not worship the devil. A witch's magic is a genetic component that is passed on from their ancestors, that sometimes skips generations. A magical witch's magic typically surfaces in adolescence but just like puberty every case is different. Once a magical witch's magic has surfaced, they possess the three basic witch powers; spell casting, potion brewing, and scrying. Besides that, their magic manifests itself in one or more indivual powers that can be used at will, without  incantations or potions.

The words Magical witch, kept throbbing in her head as she dug even deeper.

The author was a Practitioner who wrote books about The Craft. Her name was Helen Turner, and she lived in Louisiana with her coven.

That definitely made the book more legit than if it had been written by any old quack.

As she lay on her bed staring at her white bedroom ceiling on Saturday night, with the book resting on her chest, she seized onto an idea that had been floating around her head ever since she started reading up on the subject. She was going to attempt to do a spell. She just had to figure out what kind of spell she'd try.

Helen Turner had several published spellbooks, and since she seemed to know what she was talking about, Cordelia decided to look there.

There were spells to change your appearance, to make someone fall in love with you, to cleanse your aura, and even to increase patience! Cordelia finally settled on a lost and found spell. It seemed innocent and fairly simple, and if it worked she'd be able to find her mother's lost wedding ring.

She headed over to Redvale and stopped by Practical Magik just before it closed to buy the spellbook.

She waited until that night when she was sure parents were fast asleep, before she did the spell.

She climbed out of bed wearing Lilo and Stitch pajamas, and left her bedroom door open a crack so she could hear if her parents got out of bed.

She lit a few candles and dimmed the lights before she opened the book and sat down on her bedroom floor, flipping to Lost and Found Spell.

She held the book in her hands and took a deep breath to second-guess herself. Was she seriously about to recite a bunch of words and expect her mother's ring to magically end up in the palm of her hand? That was crazy.

But well, maybe Cordelia was a little crazy.

"Guiding spirits I ask your charity," she began in a whisper.
"Lend me your focus and clarity,
Bring me what I cannot find,
Restore that and my piece of mind." The more she read, the louder she spoke. By the last line she was chanting.

As soon as she uttered the last word all three candles went out, leaving her in the dark.

She dropped the book like it was a hot potato and clutched her chest, she hadn't moved but she was panting. In the next instant she saw a small gleaming object fly through the window and into her room before it hurtled towards her and landed in her outstretched palm. Cordelia was shocked when she saw her mother's wedding band in her palm. She had actually summoned it.