THIRTEEN

Will stroked Nico's back tenderly and cooed words of affection and promises of being okay into his ear. They were in the Hades Cabin, back from having dinner.

  Will cursed himself mentally, he should've known better than to bring Nico out in public with a bunch of strangers. Ever since the war ended, Nico had started to sense the aura of general death around people very strongly, the constant wall of terrible possibilities that could kill them all had blocked the power but now he had nothing to do everyday. 

  No visiting gods, trying to make a truce. No fighting off enemies in the worst possible scenarios. No raising the dead to come to his aid. Life had become.. boring.

  And Nico thanked the gods everyday for that.

  But despite the much wanted peace, Nico couldn't take the terrible things he sensed from others. Being in public where he didn't know anyone was worse because he could feel the oncoming death clinging to them like wet clothes but at the same time there they were, laughing and loving and living.

  And Nico could do nothing to help.

  Will nearly screamed at how stupid he'd been to do that to Nico. The small boy was rocking back and forth on the floor, tears streaming silently from his eyes. The day had started out okay, then they had passed by this wedding and Nico had gone rigid,

  "Two days Will, that's all she's got left," he'd whispered with a wavering voice. The Bride was destined to die two days after her marriage. Will had almost started crying right there and then, instead he apologized for bringing them there. He led them both back to Camp and consoled Nico.

  It hadn't worked.

  Will sighed softly as he massaged his temples with one hand, keeping the other around Nico.

  "I think .. you should go to sleep .. Will," Nico spoke softly, staring at one spot on the floor.

  Will knew Nico was worrying for him, he nodded, then spoke knowing that Nico wouldn't be watching.

  "Goodnight, love." Will said, kissing him on the forehead gently before turning to leave. 

   Will Solace made it exactly three steps out the door before he broke down and started to cry.