TWENTY FIVE

WEDNESDAY

  They spent this one day of the week alone without each other and yet, I feel that this day was the one where I made the most progress with each. Where I got a lot closer to their heart a lot faster than anyone I'd ever affected before.

  Will's day was as followed:

 1. Wake up from that amazing dream he had about Nico.

2. Take a shower.

3. Eat breakfast while wondering if Nico was a morning person.

 -he wasn't.

4. Go to the coffee shop to see if maybe - just maybe - he could see Nico there.

5. Go home with disappointment scrawled across his forehead.

6. Continue thinking about Nico.

  The entire day, I watched fondly as Nico's name came to Will's head for the simplest of situations.

  Watching T.V? Nico. Eating food? Nico. Cleaning the place up a bit? Nico. Washing the dishes? Yup, you guessed it, Nico.

  I sighed at how endearing Will Solace was even when no one else was around and wondered for the nth time if he was the boy who would finally share me with Nico. The one who could convince the younger that he most definitely worthy of me, and if anything, it was I who was unworthy of him. With each passing moment, Will's thoughts of Nico became more and more frequent and my presence became more and more noticeable.

  Then suddenly, in the middle of the day when I thought Will was going to overload me with all his desires to see Nico, everything came to a halt.

  I was no longer burning up with desire, I was glowing with something softer. Longing, a sad sort of longing took a hold of me as Will sat on top of his bed, a photo album in his hands.

  As he flipped through the memories he paused over a family photo and absently rubbed his thumb over a boy's face. I silently took in the moment and understanding filled me. In that moment, I forgot about WillandNico and NicoandWill. In this moment, Will was simply Will and Nico was simply Nico, two boys with two very estranged pasts.

  I gave Will a shoulder to cry on as he closed his eyes, losing himself in the past as we often do when thinking about a loved one.

   Nico was dreading today, I could sense it in the morning when he'd woken up with my hand still entangled in his hair from the night before. He was dreading spending an entire day with his sorry excuse for a father. With one hand shielding his eyes from the bright sunlight Nico got himself ready for the day to began. 

  Nico decided to play it safe today, a half sleeve shirt and some shorts should suffice. His various concealers were sprawled across his dresser from previous uses. Nico made sure that he had at least one full one before making his way to the living room to greet his wasted father.

  He had underestimated his dad.

  Today, there would be no Nico waking his dad up for 10 minutes before obediently waiting in the living room for him to finish his drinking. No, today Nico's dad was already up with a drink in one hand and a belt in the other. 

  "Come 'ere boiyy," he slurred out. His cracked lips upturned into a wicked smile as he raised his belt. "Let's have 'ome fon, yea?" 

  Nico winced at the putrid smell that his father exuded as he braced himself for the blows. He hung his head low, clenching his jaw at the first whip straight across his chest.

  Hours later Nico was lying on the floor, feeling useless and trying not to cry. He slowly got up as he heard his father leave for another drink at the bar and wondered how many more Wednesdays he could take. He inched himself across the floor and sat upright on the couch, clutching his stomach at the pain.

  His arms and legs were bruised, his bottom lip cut a bit, slashes on his back that throbbed painfully and a few drops of blood littered the floor. Thankfully, it had been over quicker today. Nico had found that if you resisted less, he was satisfied earlier.

  Hence, the reason he chose to wear clothes that wouldn't help protect him at all.

  The next hour consisted of Nico cleaning himself and the house up along with a quick snack only to slip right back under his covers with a small whimper when he felt the jolt of pain he felt run down his back. It was the few moments right before he went to sleep in which Nico's mind blew up with thoughts of the blonde haired beauty he had promised to spend the day with tomorrow. And surprisingly, it was in those moments when I went from sitting across the room to snuggling up right next to Nico, one hand on his chest.

  Maybe it wasn't the best story I'd been in (there were too many other love stories to compete with) and maybe the pair wasn't ideal but it was the most progress I'd made with any other human being in just 3 days and that spoke to me a lot more than when Romeo killed himself over Juliet.