TWENTY FOUR.5

Nico's Backstory [Without Narration of L-O-V-E :D]

------------------------------------------------

  Nico was 8 the first time he came home to broken glass and curses echoing against the walls. 

   There was blood on the ground and a tarnished woman begging on the floor to be set free. 

  There were screams of betrayal and Nico knew that his father had finally found out, it wasn't like he hadn't known. He'd gotten used to walking in on a different man with his mother whenever his father was out on business trips, he'd come to quite like the man too.

  Nico hadn't expected his father to lash out. But then again, this was the man who had refused to feed Nico for 2 days once when he was 6 because he'd accidentally broken the window.

  The expression on his mother's face, or the little that he saw from behind the corner he was hiding in, was enough to make a thousand men fall to their knees in desperation begging for forgiveness.

  But Nico's father was not a nice man.

  A shriek rang out in the house and there was a flurry of events that occurred next that happened so fast, Nico wasn't sure he'd witnessed it with his own eyes. His father had raised a belt and his mother had stabbed his father with a knife she'd had behind her back. With the torn clothes on her back, tears running down her face and blood matting her hair she had left the house. Not once sparing a glance to the 8 year old Nico, trembling in a corner out of fear and nearly wetting himself when he heard heavy footsteps approaching him after she slammed the door shut.

   Nico was 10 years old when he'd found out his father's anger was only worsened by alcohol rather than subdued.

   The boy had been in his room for hours on end, finding excuses not to leave but finally he couldn't hold in all the water he'd drank previously to relieve his boredom and he had to get out.

   He had cautiously opened his door and peeked his head around a couple of times before making his way towards the bathroom only to be roughly yanked back, the stench of alcohol filling his nostrils.

  A few slurred words telling him how worthless he was and some whips with a belt were enough to break Nico down into a crumpled up crying heap on the floor. Of course he'd been scared out of his mind and so this time, he really did wet his pants.

   That had earned him a couple of kicks to the rib.

   Nico had laid there for couple of hours, both because he was afraid to and because he was physically unable to. His tears falling faster deeper into the night.

  Nico remembered the night well, it had also been the first time he'd been scared to breathe.

   Nico's suffering continued to advance and over time he came to believe his father's words and he started to think that maybe he did deserve all the beatings. After all, hadn't he known about the man his mother had cheated on his father with? Shouldn't he have told someone? Wasn't he slacking off at home when he could be helping out instead?

  Nico was 14 when he started to work at a nearby coffee place.

  Nico was 16 when his father stopped coming home, but when he did, it hurt like hell.

  Nico was 18 when he realized he might be in love.

  Nico di Angelo was only 8 years old at the time so he hadn't known that from the moment his mother closed the door on him, his life was going to be royally screwed.