t w e n t y - s e v e n

Ian Walker

A dream. I swear it was a dream.

You know that feeling when something so amazing is happening, and everything inside of you feels good, warm, and right, you're just about to get to your peak of happiness, and then things start to fade, become less vivid. Soon enough the sunlight is shining through your eyelids and you wake up. All those happy, good feelings were nothing but a dream.

I waited for it, I waited for her beautiful, perfect features to fade and for the sunlight to begin waking me up but it didn't happen.

"I love you..." She said for the second time, quieter, to herself. I had this feeling that the second one wasn't meant for me.

I did the only thing I could think to do in response.

"I love you." I said, looking at her fiercely green eyes while she looked at the ground. "I love you." I said a second time, firmly, to show her that I meant it. Every ounce of weight that phrase carried, I meant all of it every time I said it. I could only hope she carried the same weight in hers.

Finally she swallowed a lump in her throat and blinked, she looked up at me.

"Okay." She said. "Now what?" I could hear the shaking in her voice. She grasped for words and her eyes welled up with tears. Finally she stopped holding back and tried to speak but only sobbed out, "I don't know what to do!" And I swiftly pulled her towards me, holding her tightly to my chest, hoping to comfort her. I stroked her hair as she sobbed into my shoulder.

This beautiful, twisted girl loved me back the way that I had loved her for so long, and now she was crying because she didn't know what to do about it.

The world is missing out if it hasn't got Riley Green's love, because it's a special thing.

I just wish that she could feel love for me and not also feel sadness.

But I guess it's true, love is tragic.

Her shoulders shook and she sobbed out loud.

"It's okay, it's going to be okay." I cooed. I didn't know that for sure, but what else would I say? "You'll figure it out." I told her. That was true, I knew she would, she always does.

I took her home, she didn't say much on the ride there, as per usual. But there was a particular silence in the air that scared me. I finally worked up the courage to say to her,

"I'm sorry." Her head jerked towards me.

"What?" She questioned, furrowing her brows in confusion.

"I'm sorry that you love me. I'm not much of a person to love." I said, taking a deep breath. We pulled into her apartment parking lot and I turned the car off. She looked down.

"I'm sorry you love me. I'm an awful person to love." She said. I chuckled, how could she say such a thing? After all I've ever told her, she still thinks so little of herself.

"Well then I guess we deserve each other." I joked. Her eyes welled up and she looked at me.

"No, I don't deserve you, nobody deserves you. You're too kind and selfless and perfect for anyone to have you, let alone me." She responded. I was at a loss for words, she was so torn up about this.

"Riley-" I tried, but she talked over me.

"I'm sorry for all the awful things I've done to you, I'm sorry for being so difficult. I know I'm not always easy to be around. If I have to love someone in this fucked up world I want it to be you. I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up." And then she abruptly pushed herself into me with a kiss and grabbed my shirt collar, before letting me go and getting out of the car.

I could've followed her but I had a feeling she wanted the last word. So I sat there, soaking it in. There was so much all at once, she could never let things be calm or simple. Everything about her was chaotic, that's why I loved her, she was like a hurricane.

-

Ik this is short leave me alone

Hope you enjoy! Please vote it would really help me out! Love y'all!

-S