t h i r t e e n

Riley Green

Joey pulled me closer into his chest in an attempt to comfort me, and it did for a moment. I appreciated the fact that he cared. And as much as I appreciated it, more than anything I wanted to be in Ian's arms, crying into Ian's chest.

Joey, still holding onto me, led us off of the dance floor and outside. It was cold and the wind was smacking against my skin but I could barely feel it anymore. Joey put his arm around me and we walked away from the club, over to a bench, and we sat down.

Still keeping me close to him he looked me in the eyes and said,

"Are you okay?" I'd stopped crying, but the tears were still running down my cheeks and my eyes were still burning.

I was waiting for him to crack a smile and tell me he didn't actually care, but he didn't.

"I'm fine." He didn't hesitate when he asked,

"What's wrong?"

"I just said I'm fine." I was becoming annoyed with his persistence, why did he care anyways? I didn't even know him.

"Then why are you crying?" I stood up with my arms wrapped around me and looked down at him angrily.

"Stop asking me questions! I said I was fine!" He gently placed his hand on my wrist and pulled me back down next to him.

"I don't want you to freak out, but I'm going to comfort you now." He moved closer to me and put his arms around my shoulders, then brought me to his chest. It was surprisingly nice, and he smelled nice as well. "You don't have to tell me what's wrong, but I want you to be okay."

His words echoed in my head for what seemed like forever.

I want you to be okay.

Lots of people want me to be lots of things, and this was another want that would probably never happen. It was impossible for me to be okay.

I took a deep breath and said,

"It's complicated Joey, really complicated..."

"What isn't?"

I sniffled and sat up, he looked at me intently, probably thinking I was going to cry again. But instead, I looked into his eyes and thought really hard. I knew that I wanted Ian, I'd always known that, so how come I never did anything about it? I just strung him along, but I never actually fulfilled my want for him. But now that was over, so I thought about what I wanted now, and I knew what that was, and I was going to do something about it.

I leaned forward quickly and locked my lips to Joeys. He was surprised for a moment before understanding my intent and wrapping his arms around my waist. I pulled my hand up to his face and kissed him harder. He moved his hands along my back and hips, and still I kissed him harder. When I pulled back a moment for air, I could see my breath in the cold, I was breathing hard. Joey looked at me and then down at my lips. This time he leaned in and kissed me. I tugged at his hair and opened my mouth to say something, but decided against it.

He could sense the words sitting in my mouth and he stopped and looked at me.

"What is it?" I kissed his lips gently and then smiled at him.

"I know what I want right now, but I can't make any promises."

He smiled down at me and it reminded me of Ian. Then he moved his hands slightly on my waist and said,

"That's alright with me."

Joey drove and I sat in the passenger seat. The whole time he told me corny jokes and reached over to touch my leg and I laughed and leaned over and kissed his neck. Then he would push me away and say, "You're going to get us killed." and I would say "we're going to die eventually why not do it while making out." and he would laugh and sing along to the radio.

He was nice and he made me happy and I thought for a second,

won't it be fun breaking his heart,

and then I saw Ian's face where Joey's should be and I stopped laughing with him because it was cruel.

When we got to his apartment, he led me through the living room, but he didn't turn on the lights. The street lamps and moonlight were pouring through the windows and it was light enough for us to see each other. In the dark I moved towards him and found his lips with mine. We stayed like that for awhile, kissing and holding each other. And the his hands found the hem of my dress and they hesitated while trying to decide what to do.

"I have to tell you-" He started, but I interrupted him.

I gave him the green light and guided his hands up so that my dress was slid over my head, and I began to unbutton his shirt. It was quiet, and calm, and slow-moving. It was a change for me. He was gentle and kind, and his touch was tender.

Eventually we found our way to his bed and he was on top of me, touching me and kissing me, showing me something new.

When it was all over, I was laying in his arms in the dark, twirling his hair, and he was breathing in and out. I had a sudden thought and I decided to share it with him. I turned to him in the dark.

"Joey?"

"Yeah?"

"Let's just be friends." Then I looked towards the window and thought about what I wanted, right now.

"Okay." He said, and I was glad for him, glad that things were working for once. There may have been a few bumps in the road to get to the right place but I think things were going well for me.

I put on my clothes, and so did Joey, he gave me a coat to wear since it was so cold outside. He drove me back to the club so I could get my car.

"Thanks, for tonight." He said when I was at my car. "Even though it was a little different from what I usually do." he laughed and looked down.

"Yeah," I said, "you probably don't normally look after crying girls and then sleep with them only to get friend zoned." We both chuckled.

"Really though," he began, "it's okay, I'm fine, and as long as you're fine it's all good. I had no expectations." I smiled up at him, and began to take off the coat so that I could return it to him, but he stopped me, "No it's okay, it's cold you need a jacket. You can give it back to me some other time."

"Oh! That reminds me, I wouldn't want to forget to give you this." I pulled the crumpled up napkin out of my pocket, with my phone number scribbled on it. When I handed it to him he smiled and then raised his eyebrow at me.

"How do I know it's not a fake number?" I smirked at him, getting up on my tip toes to kiss him lightly on the lips.

"I guess you'll just have to trust that I'm not heartless." Then I got in my car and drove home. I wasn't sad or empty anymore, I had a lifting feeling about me. This time, I knew what I wanted. It was Ian, it had always been Ian.

-

WOW haha this chapter sucks I'm sorry. Also it's super late. I'm sorry.

Okay so at least I updated, but I wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE READS it may not be a lot to anyone else but I really appreciate all the votes and reads and everything sooo yeah!

Please comment and vote and reccomend and all that jazz and I will love you forever :)

REALLY IMPORTANT: I'm starting a new story (still continuing this one) called 'Xeno'. I'm really excited for it and I want you guys to check it out, read the description and the prlologue and then if you decide that you like it and you want updates on when chapters are coming out and what else is happening follow me. If you like this story you'll probably like 'Xeno' but don't worry they're not the same. Very different characters and the plot develops differently. Please check it out!

Okay that's it BYE!

-S