8: Blalance of the Universe

(16/07/16 - 21/07/16)

I woke up with a jolt, slamming my head on the ceiling of the car.
"Crap!" I hissed under my breath.

Unfortunately for me, Kiara could hear better than a dog.

"Alexander Joseph Beck! Watch your language young man!" She had spin around in her car seat and was glaring at me like I had killed her dog. Max, the English Bulldog.

I groaned while rubbing my head. "Sorry." I also wanted to ask her about how my mother died an if my father had a dog, but I couldn't brig myself to say it. Every second generation, as soon as they procreated someone to continue their legacy, would die a horrid death.

It was a family rule not to speak of what happened to my parents. We tried it once when I was thirteen and all that happened was Archie telling me I looked like my dad. Something I already knew from photos.

"We're here," Archie called out from the front.

We rolled in the driveway in silence, something that I wasn't used to when it came to my family. Aunt Kiara was always loud and uncle Archie was always pointing something out related to science, becase of his job.

I looked up from my lap to see a familiar dirty-blond kid standing with his skateboard in front of out garage. Jason.

As I opened the door of the car Archie ordered sternly, "Do not tell anyone without us permitting you."

I nodded and got out . Like I would tell Jason anyways. He'd probably think that I was going insane.

"Hey man, why weren't you at the shop today? There were some hot chicks there, today." He grinned, as I yanked my bike from the back of the truck.

I rolled my eyes, "What is it with you and girls? It's not like your life will basically end if you don't date every available female in a five mile radius."

"Can you blame me? I never got no love?" He grinned. Yeah right. Unlike me, he was the definition of physical perfection. Girls threw themselves at his feet and worshiped the ground he tread on.

"Shut up. Where to?" I mounted my bike.

All I got was his creepy grin that always signified some evil plan to piss someone off.

"Just follow my lead." He jumped on the board and pushed off.

I rolled my eyes again but follows him.

_-_-_-_

He lead us to a part of town that I didn't know well.

We were about half a mile from the beach, and in a road framed by overgrown mangroves from the time when all if south Florida was a huge swamp the native Americans would call 'Pa-Hay-Okee', now we call the remaining bits of the National Park 'Everglades' or just 'Glades'.

A couple feet away was a batch of tourists wearing your usual stereotypical white shoes and fanny packs. But what truly caught my attention was a sharp teenage girl in the middle staring at us like prey. And she looked a hell lot like Apollo.

"Dude, stop staring and speed up. We're almost there, 'Lex." Jason smirked as he turned back to me.

I rolled my eyes but did a he said. "Don't call me that. It's annoying, Son."

"Cut the bull, Xander. You're not my dad."

I round my teeth. "It's Alex. Not Lex, not Xander, Alex."

He laughed. "I'm just messing with you, man. Besides, we're here." He hopped off his board and picked it up.

I stopped my bike and slipped off it.

He started to go for a small path between the Mangroves. "You sure this' safe?"

He turned around and rolled his eyes. "Stop being chicken, Beck. Let's go"

I sighed and followed.

-_-_-_-_-_-

We slaved for half an hour through the Mangroves, slicing between the thick underbrush, and came to a stop in an unartuaral clearing.

It was a perfect circle, with a pile of sandstone rocks on the dead center. The rocks became larger and larger the higher the pile went. In the middle of the stones, were small pictographs and carvings.

"How did you find this place?" I breathed out, a shiver falling down my spine. There was something wrong.

Like a sick... What was the word my aunt Trudy, supernatural hunter extraordinair, would use? Aura.

A sick, evil aura.

"I don't know, man. Yesterday I felt a strange... I don't know... Pulling? Yeah, a pulling here. And I followed it. I felt as if I should show this place to someone."

"What is it? Some time of Tocobaga ritual place?"

"Nah, the Natives stayed near the bay in Tampa. We're a couple miles too far."

"Then what is it?"

"It's the Blalance of the Universe, Cusebreaker and Dragonslayer."

A female voice came behind us.