Chapter Sixteen

I look down at the couple ring. Without realizing I giggle. I can't believe I just did that. I shake my head and grab my backpack out of my locker. School was finally over. I head out and just as I'm passing the school gates an arm loops over my shoulder. I look up at the person. Jun Ho smiles at me brightly.

"You've been unusually happy today. Did something happen at lunch."

I shrug. But a smile starts to form just thinking about it. He pokes my shoulder.

"Eyy, don't be like that."

"Like what?"

He sighs. "Alright alright. How's some bubble tea and cake sound?"

"Th-"

"Perfect!" Chun Hee says, coming out of nowhere.

She grabs Jun Ho's other arm and clings onto it.

"We can all go over the project we have and begin working on it."

I furrow my eyebrows. "What project?"

Jun Ho flicks my forehead. "Yah, pabo. Were you not listening? Mrs. Kim assigned the class a project due in three weeks. You, Chun Hee, Dong Chan and I are in group."

I nod slowly. Trying to remember when all this happened.

Chun Hee scoffed. "She was too busy smiling to herself like an idiot."

Both Jun Ho and I glare at her. She just shrugs and looks away.

"Wait, but what's the project about?" I ask.

"We have to do some type of community service. Then write a report of what we did and how we helped the community, listing multiple examples. And we need a visual presentation to go along with it."

"Okay. That doesn't sound hard." I nod. "But. Where's Dong Chan?"

"There he is!" Chun Hee exclaims.

She calls his name. His eyes widen and he looks like a deer caught in headlights. His eyes waver, whether to run away or come over. At the last second he decides to walk over to us.

"Y-Yes?" He asks nervously.

Chun Hee smiles, a fake one at that. "We're going out for some snacks while we work on the project. You're coming, right?"

"Uh, y-yeah." He stutters.

The poor guy looks like he'd rather run into a car than be in the same place with Chun Hee. And I quite feel the same.

"There's a cafe nearby. Let's go there." Jun Ho says.

Chun Hee notices how we're still standing close to each other. So she comes over to where I'm standing and shimmies in between us.

We reach the cafe shortly. We pick a table by the the window. Jun Ho sits down and Chun Hee immediately jumps to the seat next to him. We order and the waiter quickly serves us. I smile as my strawberry bubble tea and slice of strawberry cheesecake is placed in front of me.

"You seem to really like strawberry." Jun Ho says chuckling.

I nod and quickly take a bite out of the cheesecake. Chun Hee looks at me with distaste. She had ordered an iced green tea with a tiny gluten free cupcake. But I notice how her eyes flit over to my cheesecake.

"So, what are we going to do for the project?" I ask in between bites.

"Something easy that won't require effort or getting dirty." Chun Hee says.

We all stare at her.

"What?"

Jun Ho shakes his head. "We're supposed to be doing something good for the community. Not just scraping by with something easy."