Chapter Twenty One

I stretch out my arms and yawn. Finally, I was being discharged. At first, being pampered by my family was fun. But then Eomma became overbearing to the point I hid from her in different rooms in the hospital.

"Be careful. You don't want to strain that area." Eomma fusses.

I internally roll my eyes.

"Eomma, I'm fine. The doctor said I can move around as long as I'm careful." I tell her.

She sighs. "You're right. I'm just worried. I'll go fill out the paperwork, so wait for me in the lobby."

"Ye."

I grab the duffle bag contain clothes eomma had brought from home. As I walk out I bow to the doctors and nurses who pass by me. I push the down button on the elevator and wait for it to open. I turn around when I feel a slight tug at my shirt.

"Eun Kyung eonnie, this is for you."

I look down at the cute seven year old. She had come by my room handing out candies as she had done with everyone else. Immediately she had stuck to me like glue. For the last week and a half she had spent night and day with me.

I take the drawing out of her hands and give her a warm smile.

"Gomawo, Ji Na." I thank her.

I bend down and give her a hug.

"Will you come back?" She asks.

"Of course, how could I leave you alone."

She smiles brightly. "Yay! Make sure to bring the handsome oppa too."

Ji Na had become infatuated with Jung Kook as well. Her favorite game to play was house. I somehow always ended up being the baby.

I laugh. "We'll see. But in turn you have to get all better."

She nods. "Ne!"

I slightly ruffle her hair and wave goodbye. I step into the elevator and watch as it descends.

Finally I reach the first floor. I can already see eomma talking to someone at the desk from here. I walk towards her.

"It's been paid for? By who?" Eomma asks astonished.

"The boy who came with the patient. His father covered all of your hospital expenses. He said he was willing to pay for any physical therapy as well. You are very fortunate, ma'am."

Eomma covers her mouth eith her hand and her eyes begin to tear up.

"Eomma

My eyes widen. Jun Ho... paid? The medical bill must have been well over a thousand dollars. Why, no how, did he pay? I shake my head, I can't believe it. Eomma turns around and wipes away a tear as she faces me.

"Oh, honey. Come on, let's go home."

I nod. When we get home I'm warmly greeted by grandparents. The smell of food wafts into my nose.

"Halmoni, are you cooking?" I ask excitedly.

She smiles. "I was thinking you'd need some of my infamous kimchi-jigae."

I grin widely. Halmoni was an awesome cook. But she didn't cook often, only on special occasions.

"While I finish this you go get some rest." She says.

I pout. "Arrasso."

I stalk to the living room and sit down on the couch next to harabuji. I guess I hadn't realized how tired I actually was. My eyes slowly begin to droop and I silently fall asleep.

When I wake up I find a note stuck onto the fridge.

We went out to buy something. Be back soon.

I can't believe they left me all alone. I'm still a patient. How rude. I eat the dinner halmoni had left for me and take a shower.

As I pass by eomma's room, something makes me stop. Without even realizing what I'm doing I open the door to her room. Nothing seemed strange or our of place. But my eyes land on the picture frame on her night stand. The picture was of the four of us when we went to Jeju Island when I was nine. Everyone was smiling brightly at the camera.

I cock my head to the side and frown. Gingerly, I pick up the frame and turn it around in my hands. I notice something poking out just slightly from the corner. I take out the back and a picture falls out. I bend down to pick it up. It's an old picture. Beginning to fade away with time. Wearing away with the countless times of being traced. My hand quivers as I bring it up to my eyes.

It was two people. A young couple. The women had her arms wrapped around the man's neck, her eyes closed as she grinned widely, she looked beautiful. The man was laughing as he looked at her adoringly. They looked so in love.

I wasn't curious as to why eomma had this picture. No, I was too caught up in the man's striking features. He looked... just like me. The resemblance was undeniable. My eyes begin to sting with tears.

On the back were a few words.
Lee Chul and Park Eun Seol -1999

My whole life, I always thought there was something missing. As if a part of my heart had been misplaced.

I found out a couple years ago. I had woken up to get a drink when I heard eomma talking. She was arguing with someone, with harabuji. I remember every word.

"She deserves to know. Don't you think we're robbing her of something?"

"She's too young. She won't be able to handle it. I won't be able to handle it." Eomma said, her voice sounding broken.

"Eun Ha, if you keep putting it off, it'll be too late. You need to tell her about her real parents. The more you wait, the more unbearable the pain will be." Harabuji said gently.

After hearing that I had crawled back to my bed. I had tried to act normal, as if I had never heard the conversation. And for a while, it worked. I paid no attention to it. But there were times at night when my mind would wander off. The 'what ifs' would haunt me. Who are my parents? Are they alive? Do they miss me? Do they even know I'm alive? Those thoughts would run through my head.

There were so many unanswered questions. But I just waited. And waited. When would eomma be honest with me? When would she be able to face me with the truth?

It hurt. So much. The fact that she never told me. The fact that there were two people out there who should've been part of my life but never were. It hurt to think that maybe I just wasn't good enough for them.

I slap my hand over my mouth in a failing attempt to silence my sobs. I had been holding back my tears for so long. For such a long time, I had no idea I had family besides the three people I live with. Now I know their names and what they look like. Is it selfish of me to want to be with them? It's so heartbreaking to think about. Did they want me? Is that why I'm not with them? It's too much to think about.

I hug the photo to my chest and continue to cry. Everything I had held back I let it flow out of me.

"Eun Kyung..."

My head snaps up to the bedroom door.

"Eomma." I breathe.

============================
A/N: so I finally updated, yay! Were you expecting this? This is something I had planned from the beginning. And now that this big secret is out, I'd say I'm getting closer the end of the story. But not yet, there's still a lot more to go. What do you think will happen now? Why do you think Jun Ho covered the medical bills? Also, I think I'll be featuring the little girl in more chapters. Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Annyeong <3