Chapter Twenty Three

I sigh and run a hand through my hair. What am I going to do now? There are no more distractions. Just life.

I stuff my hands into my pockets and start walking. Where even am I? Certainly nowhere near home. Maybe I should call a friend. Oh wait, I have none.

As I walk, I see a family. A girl, maybe four or five years old, was holding onto both of her parents hands as she skipped. A sad smile forms on my face.

When I think back on it, it all makes sense. On my birthdays, eomma would always seem a bit sad. And she'd always go somewhere early in the morning. I can only assume she went to visit her. It must've been hard for her too. Eomma was always too protective of me, because she didn't want to lose me.

She must be worried sick. But I can't go home. I can't face her, not yet. Just for a little, I want to hide. I guess I'm still a child after all.

I look up at the sky and watch as it slowly turns colors. It'll be dark soon. I should probably start finding my way home. As I turn around I catch glimpse of someone's face. For some reason I feel compelled t chase after me.

I find myself pushing through the crowded sidewalk, trying to catch up to him. What's wrong with me? He crosses the street and I try to follow. A car screeches in front of me and someone tugs my arm, pulling me back.

"Eun Kyung! Are you crazy?"

I ignore the person's calls and try to look over the people. Trying to find the man.

"Yah, are you even listening?"

My eyes widen as suddenly the person forces me to look at them.

"Jun Ho?"

"Are you okay? Why were you running into the street? You could have gotten hit by that car!" He scolds.

"Eo mianhae." I mumble. "I need to find someone."

I turn around to leave but he pulls me back.

"Do you even know where you are? And look at what you're wearing."

I look down. I had borrowed some Yoon Gi's clothes. He had the smallest size and even then it's still too big. It was a pair of black jeans with a tshirt and a leather jacket. Along with a pair of sneakers. He had even tried to convince me to wear his gold chain. But I kindly refused.

"What's wrong with it? I look fine." I say.

"You're wearing men clothes. That are a few sizes too big." Jun Ho says obviously.

I shrug. "So?"

"Also, what are you doing all the way in downtown Gangnam? It's getting dark and it's not safe for girls like you."

I frown. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"I didn't mean like that."

I sigh. "I have enough on my plate. I don't need you to add to it."

"I didn't mean anything by it. Besides, you just got discharged from the hospital, you should be resting."

"I'm fine- ah!" I pull up the jacket over my head in attempt to shield myself from the sudden rain.

Jun Ho takes my hand and runs us into the nearest building. A hotel.

"It's really coming down hard. Let's wait for it to calm down." He says and shakes the droplets of rain off his hair.

I nod. "Alright. But is it okay for us to just hang around in the lobby?"

"It's fine."

"Are you sure?" I ask.