The Game

Chapter Eight - Emergency by Paramore

"I think we have an emergency."

   "They're coming back, we don't have much time to talk." Dr. Deaton quickly explained, poring what seems to be rubbing alcohol onto a cotton ball.

   "What is that?" Scott asked, holding his jacket up. 

   "Rubbing alcohol." Dr. Deaton answered, "You don't want it to get infected, do you?" Scott shook his head, dabbing the cotton ball on the large cut. "It'll heal the same, just not as quickly, because of Derek."

   "Okay, how do you know all this?" Scott asked, " Actually how do you know anything?" he said, while Deaton was putting a large tissue on the cut. 

   "It's a long story." Deaton said, putting tape over the tissue. "But I can tell you, I know about your kind, and her kind. Your kind I can help." Deaton explained, referring to Katherine. "This. This is something different." he said, referring to the body on the table that had deep and huge scratch marks on the chest.

   "Well, do you know what did it?" Scott asked.

   "No. But the Argents will. And this is the crucial part, they will have a record or book, they will have description. Histories, notations, of all of the things they have discovered." Deaton explained, rushing.

   "All of the things? How many different things are there?" Katherine asked, but heard that the Argents had arrived.

   Quickly, Scott and Katherine hid, before they had entered. From what Katherine could tell, Scott was listening on their conversation, so she waited.

   Scott turned to her, "You should go home now." he said.

   "What? Why?" Katherine asked, confused.

   "It's late, and your aunt is going to be worried, go home."

   Katherine completely forgot about her aunt. Before taking one last glance at Scott and what was happening inside, she quietly exited the animal clinic.

***

   The next morning, Katherine spotted Scott and Stiles sitting on the stairs. She walked over to them, standing behind them.

  "I'm so sorry about the other day. I am trying. We will get through this. Um, I know, because I love you." Stiles said, Katherine looked down at the two confused, but chuckling. "I love you more than- oh, my God. You and Allison have to find a better way to communicate." Katherine realized what was happening, she stood in front of the two.

   "Come on, you are the only one we can trust, is she coming to the game tonight?" 

   "Yes! Okay, message complete." Stiles said, ending the subject. "Now, tell me about your boss." 

   "He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of records of all the things that have hunted." Scott whispered, looking around to see if anyone was listening or watching. "Like a book."

   Stiles clapped his hands, "Oh, probably it's bestiary."

   "A what?"

   "A bestiary."

   "I think you mean bestiality." Scott said, laughing.

   "Nope, I'm pretty sure I don't. It's an encyclopedia of creatures."

   "How am I the only one who doesn't know anything about this stuff?"

   "You are like my best friend, a creature of the night and a priority of mine."