The Book

The book of life
The book of love
The book of truth
Living in a made-up world
They told me the book was a made-up word
The book didn't suffice for today's world
They told us the book wasn't good enough
They told us the book didn't fit the standards of...
They told us
They told us lies
And now all they are doing is hiding the truth
But how is that possible when He is the truth
The book of life
The book of love
The book of truth

After Taylor August left, I went up to the attic where the old chest that my grandmother's book was. I pulled the book out of the chest and opened it. I know it's against the law to read, but maybe this book could give me some answer to what happened in the past. Perhaps if I find out what happened in the past, I can get a better understanding of what is going on today. I rubbed over the gold letters written across the book. Still not knowing what the words say. 

I haven't read in years, and I know some words are slowly slipping away each day. I figure I still know all the tiny words, so if I don't know what a word says, I could sound it out. I flipped through the first few pages and started at the beginning. In the beginning, El Elyon created the heavens and the earth. 

El Elyon, why does that name sound so familiar? I slowly whisper to myself. I continued reading and came to find out this book that has been in my family for generations describes how the world came to be. Pages were marked up and torn as if someone was studying the book. Or they were maybe leaving a message for the next generation. 

I flipped a few more pages and noticed that each section had a name and a number next. I flipped some more, and two sheets of ripped-up paper fell out of the book. One read my name, and another said The Truth underline with numbers. I flipped through the pages until I found the scroll listed on the ripped paper. 

It read: Hear this, all you people's; listen, all who live in this world, both low and high, rich and poor alike: My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. I will turn my ear to a proverb; with harp, I will expound my riddle. Why should I fear when evil days come when wicked receivers surround me those who trust in their wealth and boast of their great riches? No man can redeem the life of another or give El Elyon a ransom for him; the ransom for a life is costly, no payment is ever enough that he should live on forever and not see decay. I picked up the second ripped-up paper with my name and began to read.

Dear Risen May,
                     If you are reading this, you must remember all the times I spent teaching you to read. I hoped for the day that you would still remember how to after this banned because I knew this would be the only way to reach you. It's safe to say that you have awakened, my dear. You now know the truth and why I had to leave you. 

I never meant for things to be this way, but it was the only way to keep you safe and alive. Oh, I remember when you were just a little girl, bright-eyed and so full of hope. So many questions you asked and didn't ask. 

I knew you would come to understand. Yes, the government is a lie. They are not here to protect you. A long time ago, it used to be the government for the people by the people. In reality, only a few people remain. 

I want you to know that the book where this letter was found in the book of truth. This book is called The Scrolls. The gold letters on the front are les rouleaux, which means the scrolls. It was a language called French before we received our one-world language. 

This is why the government has banned books. They don't want us to know the truth. This book has been passed down from generation to generation. You may be the very last ever to see it. 

Ever since you were a baby, I knew you were the one to bring change unto the world: question the government, the world, and question everything. Find the truth and let the world know. Please be safe and know that I love you.

With love, your mother.