35

A/N: Uh republishing because wattpad did a weird thing

+++

Adam sat on a park bench and looked down at his watch. It was nearly 2:30, which was the time he and Blue had agreed to meet. His leg shook somewhat anxiously as he looked around for her.

He spotted something flying towards him out of the corner of his eye, and he whipped his head towards it, alarmed. He'd been half-expecting it to be something dangerous, but it was the tiny Blue Sargent, hurling herself at him, which in a way was more dangerous than anything he'd been imagining.

He was knocked off the park bench when Blue tackled him in a hug. They both ended up on the ground laughing, their arms wrapped around each other. They stood up once they'd both managed to calm down a bit. They stood there and they looked at each other covered and leaves and dirt and they started laughing again.

"Hi, Adam," Blue chirped as she pulled Adam into another hug.

"Hey, Blue," Adam replied, a slight chuckle under his words.

Blue pulled away, a smile on her face, and started to brush the dirt off her dress.

"Come on," Blue said, taking Adam's hand. "I know the perfect place to go."

She led him into the woods by the park. "Is this the part where you murder me and dispose of my body deep in the woods?" Adam asked.

Blue laughed. "Definitely."

Before long, they came to a creek. "Hope you don't mind getting wet!" Blue exclaimed and then she ran forward into the creek, water splashing with the movements of her feet. Adam broke into a smile and ran forward with her.

They played like children in the creek for a while, throwing water at each other for the hell of it. Adam hadn't had this much fun in years.

Afterwards, they lay in the sand beside the creek, staring up at the clouds.

Adam raised his arm and pointed at one of the many clouds in the sky. "That one looks like me," he said.

"That's just a big ugly blob," Blue pointed out.

"Exactly."

"Same."

Blue raised her own arm in the air. "That one looks like..." She paused for a moment, thinking. "A cloud."

"Literally same."

Blue laughed. "Clouds are kinda boring, aren't they?"

"Yep," Adam agreed. "You wanna talk about something else?"

"Yeah. Uh...you wanna talk about boys?"

"Of course."

"They're trash."

"I agree."

Blue chuckled. "Boys...suck eggs."

"Eggs?"

"Yes."

"I'm an egg."

"Me too."

"Since boys suck eggs," Adam said, making Blue giggle again, "does that mean one can suck my eggs?"

Blue cackled. "Oh my God." Adam laughed along.

After Blue had found her breath, she asked, "do you have any specific boys in mind who you might want to suck your eggs?"

Adam laughed, but didn't answer immediately. After a few moments silence, he said, "Well."

Blue looked at him expectantly.

"I dunno," Adam said. He pointed at another cloud. "That one looks like an egg."

"Adam," Blue sang.

"What?" Adam mocked.

"You're not changing the subject just yet, sweetheart."

"I."

"Who is it?" Blue asked, smiling.

Adam just stared at her.

"Tell me who you liiiiikeeee." She sounded like a third grader.

"But," Adam said. "Just- I dunno, it's complicated."

"What's complicated?"

"I feel like...like I might have feelings for him...or I could have feelings for him...but I dunno. I just...I don't believe in love, ya know? I never have."

Blue nodded in understanding. "Yeah. Yeah, I get that."

"It's like...growing up, I never got to see love, I never got to feel it or recieve it. So I've always kinda thought that love was bullshit, that there was no such thing as real love."

"You never got to recieve it?" Blue asked, seeming concerned now. Adam just shook his head. "Not even from your parents?"

Adam scoffed. "Especially not from my parents."

Blue frowned. "I'm sorry."

Adam shrugged. "It is what it is, I guess." After a moment, he continued, "but anyway. Now that I've met you guys, it's like everything is different. It's like you guys have finally turned the page to the new chapter of my life. I think what I feel for all of you guys might be what people call love."

Blue smiled. "Aw."

Adam smiled back at her. "Yeah. And for one of you guys in particular, it's almost like...the kind of love I feel for him is kinda different from what I feel for you guys. Like, I wouldn't say I'm in love with him, but I feel like...maybe I could be, one day."

Blue grinned. "You have a crush."

"Shut up."

Blue squealed. "Who is it? Oh my God."

"Stop."

"Please."

Adam thought for a moment and then sighed. He told her, but he spoke so fast that he squished all of his words together and was incomprehensible.

"Huh?" Blue asked.

Adam sighed again. "Okay. I think. I might. Like. Ronan...?"

Blue jumped up, startling Adam. "YES!" She shouted. She got back on the ground to hug Adam. "Ah, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!" She squealed. "My fucking OTP!"

Adam laughed at her enthusiasm. "Okay, okay. Calm down. It's not that big a deal."

"This is a huge deal."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"Okay, okay, fine. What about you? If there's anybody you like, you better fuckin' tell me now."

"Okay, okay. Alright. Uh. I kinda like Gansey? Oops."

"Oh my God. Really?"

Blue nodded sheepishly.

"Amazing," Adam remarked.

Blue poked Adam's shoulder. "Don't you tell anyone."

Adam put his hands up. "My lips are sealed."

"Yeah," Blue told him. "Yeah, they are."

They both laughed at themselves and at each other and at their dumbass crushes. Weirdly enough, this day of casually hanging out at the park with Blue was probably the happiest Adam had been in his life up to this point.