Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A night of sitting on metaphorical pins and needles finally catches up with me. When the first bursts of morning light cascade across the green forest, Bogdan pulls me into his arms and tells me it's time to go.

Then he starts running.

It only takes a few minutes before my eyes become weak with fatigue. Bursts of green become blurred behind the constant, cool breeze slapping against my face. I try to stay awake, I really do. For all I know more vampires are just around the corner ready to bring us to our knees.

Yet somehow I manage to fall asleep in his arms. Romantic, right?

I wish.

Imagine sleeping inside of a cramped, cold, metal shopping cart. Ok, now imagine that shopping cart zooming through the parking lot, one that is devoid of any potholes, loose gravel, or human interaction. Smooth sailing, in other words. Alright, now picture that the cart emanates a delicious and seductive scent that both excites while lulling its victim into a false sense of calm.

That's the best way I can describe traveling via Bogdan's arms. There's no warmth to him. No softness. It's a smooth ride but far from comfortable. Maybe it's because it's such a smooth ride that I'm able to stay asleep, but when Bogdan finally urges me awake, my body is stiff and sore as ever.

"Human. Human!"

"Mmm?"

A hazy view of Kelly's apartment complex comes into focus. I squint at it, eyeing the window where only a night ago I was listening to my best friend strum on his guitar while nursing a beer. Red eyes stare back at me with a frenzied expression.

"The woman inside is upset," Bogdan informs me with a frown.

I follow his gaze to the shadow of a woman pacing back and forth in the living room. My heart sinks when I notice Fiona's familiar pink, fluffy slippers scraping across the carpet before coming to a stop at the patio window. Seeing them brings me back to the many mornings spent in their apartment after a night of drinking – listening to Kelly re-tell animated stories from the night before while overindulging on Fiona's famous pancakes.

It feels wrong showing up at their apartment without Kelly by my side. I suck my bottom lip into my mouth and look up at Bogdan. He's still frowning at Fiona with a curious expression. I expect him to set me on my feet, but he keeps me in his arms.

"Why is she afraid?" Bogdan whispers to me.

He sounds disappointed, disgusted even.

"She's worried about my friend, Kelly. That's his girlfriend."

"She's not the one in danger," Bogdan argues. "She is safe. Why does it matter?"

"Because Kelly has her heart," I explain. "Her emotional, metaphorical one anyway. She wants to know he's safe. She won't be happy otherwise."

Bogdan shakes his head. "Foolish. Such emotional creatures."

As much as I want to stay near Bogdan, seeing Fiona so distraught has me wriggling out of his arms to get free. My efforts are futile. Fiona leans over the railing and squints towards the trees. I almost think she sees us, but then she continues to glance around the area.

"I need to go help her," I grunt, still trying to get out of his grasp.

Bogdan hesitates only briefly before gently setting me on my feet. He tilts his head to the side, studying me from under his crimson gaze.

"I'll eventually be back with your friend," he murmurs and reaches into his pocket. Slits of sunlight bounce against the screen of my phone. "Though I cannot guarantee his condition."