Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Somehow I find sleep. It's the worst kind, though. For hours I alternate between succumbing to a fuzzy slumber only to be startled awake whenever I hear something from outside. I can't manage to get comfortable, and a permanent layer of goosebumps has taken over the pale skin of my forearms.

When an owl hoots in a nearby tree, I decide it's futile. I draw myself into a sitting position and rub the sleep out of my eyes. Sunlight begins to make its way through the cracks in the treehouse. Dust rises and collects around the small patches of light, mesmerized by its safety and warmth.

My stomach rattles from hunger. Bogdan glances at me from the other side of the tree house. His eyes aren't nearly as bright as they were last night. Perhaps he caved in and drank one of the blood bags earmarked for Kelly. He gracefully gets to his feet and walks over to me.

"You don't look rested," he observes aloud.

"I don't feel rested."

"I told you to sleep."

I sigh and run a hand through my messy hair. It's only been a day and I can feel how oily and unruly it is. A faint smell of onion emits from my armpits, the result of a night of nerves wreaking havoc on my sweat glands. I quickly clamp my arms down to my sides. How embarrassing. No wonder Bogdan chose to sit at the other end of the treehouse

"Sorry," I mumble. "If you had to smell that all night."

Bogdan squints in confusion. "Do you forget this is the second night I have been around your scent, human?"

"No – not my blood scent," I start to correct him but then stop myself. "Never mind."

Bogdan clears his throat and tucks his hands behind his back. How is it possible for the man to look so immaculate after a day of traveling and a night of hiding? It's not fair. His haunting features catch the light as he paces in front of me. His cheekbones are high and sharp, accentuating the slope of his nose leading down to his supple lips.

"The humans are traveling east," Bogdan says. "Kelly followed a short distance behind them and informed me this morning that they are sticking to the path near the river."

He scoffs at this plan, almost silently saying that if he were human, he'd do it much differently. I think about Leo and the rest of them. Even though they probably despise me right now, I can't help but feel guilty. They're in an unsafe area because of me. They're probably tired, hungry and sore because of me.

"What's our plan?" I ask, trying to chase away the thoughts.

"To keep you alive and away from other vampires."

I snort, thinking he's making a joke.  But of course he's not. I swallow down my laughter and nod.

"We'll be traveling to the Village today," he continues.

My pulse skyrockets at the possibility of traveling into the heart of vampire land. Why would Bogdan think of something like that? Even though this treehouse is pretty awful, I'd rather stay here than go there.

"Most, if not all, of the vampires have evacuated in preparation of the war," Bogdan explains. "And the ones who have stayed behind won't bother us anyway."

I swallow down the lump in my throat. "You're going to just break into a random house and keep me there?"

"Hardly. While I do have my own home in the Village, I will be taking you to Crystal's house instead."

The name sounds familiar, and I try to pilfer through my memories to figure out where I've heard it before. Then I remember that it's a name Kelly has used before. It was his vampire.