Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Footsteps approach me, clunky and rushed. No voice accompanies the sound. Warm fingers curl around my arms, shaking me awake. My eyes flutter open. Her panicked gaze stares back at me, just inches away from my face. Red hair curls around Fiona's lovely chin.

"Finn!" she whispers frantically. "Finn?"

I open my eyes wider, and her arms are around me a moment later. Her grip gets tighter and tighter, as if she thinks I'll vanish into thin air if she loosens it.

"I knew it wasn't a dream. You saved me. You really saved me."

Fresh tears spring to her eyes. Their saltiness burns my cheeks as she plants kiss after kiss on along my forehead.

"Fiona," I grunt. "Argh. Get off me!"

I give my friend a gentle shove, pushing her onto the empty space of bed beside me. She slinks her arm around mine and cuddles into my side. It's already been three days since I saved her from Leo's captivity and still every night we go through this same charade.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, sniffling behind tears. "I had a nightmare. I thought..."

I sigh and reach my hand over to pat her arm. "It's ok. I know. You're safe now, Fiona. You're safe."

The two of us lay in silence. I manage to get my arm out of her hold and slink it around her shoulder.

"When will Kelly drink from me?" she ask quietly.

I think about Kelly and Bogdan. Since the night they brought us back here after rescuing Fiona, they've kept their distance. Neither of them has asked us for a feeding, and their eyes are redder than the blazing sun because of it.

"I'm not sure," I answer honestly.

She wipes away the remaining tears from her eyes and glances up at me. Her gaze studies the length of my face until coming to a stop at the small holes at the base of my neck. Just having her focus on them seems to make them prickle to life.

"Does it hurt?" she asks with a deep blush. "A live feeding?"

Fiona has never experienced one before. She and her vampire set the terms of exchanging blood through blood bags from day one. Fiona would send a bag a week, trying her best to forget that she'd have to do it all over again seven days later.

"Yes," I answer honestly. "It does."

There's a sharp knock on the bedroom door and Fiona flinches beside me. Neither of us says a word as it opens silently. Kelly stands in the doorway, his red eyes narrowing in on Fiona's body lying so close to mine.

"Finn," he grits out. "Bogdan has asked that you both come down to dinner tonight. We have a lot to discuss."

His blazing eyes never leave Fiona while he speaks. She shivers beside me. I can't imagine how she feels right now. A piece of her must feel amazing to have the eyes of her old lover on her once again. The other part must feel disgusted knowing that the look is one of hungry lust from an immortal.

"We'll be down in a minute," I promise.

Kelly tightens his jaw. It looks like he wants to say something else, and based on the look on his face, that 'something else' probably involves moving away from his new prize. Fiona. Instead he gives a clipped nod and leaves.

Fiona rolls off the bed. There are a few deep bruises around her wrists and ankles from being held in captivity. They've had a few days to heal, however, and the color has deepened to a shade that's reminiscent of a molded eggplant.