The Oath

"Excuse me? What farce is this? How did you come in?" Victoria's voice echoed through the mansion

Her nervousness and clueless lasted only for a second. The lucid side was again switched on, "Who are you and what are you doing here? I do not recall having servants or anyone in this mansion!" the angry Countess yelled at the stranger.

Then the man replied, "I am deeply sorry, Milady for my recklessness. It won't happen again. There was no time for me to notify you since you were already traveling here, that from now on I'll be at your service as your loyal butler. To be precise, your late mother Countess Lillian, hired me to attend this position."

She was dumbfounded. His bold and earnest words left her speechless.

The information that 'she' had a butler in this old and deserted place was difficult enough (and with 'she' Victoria referred to her past self who had been humiliated and publicly disinherited by her greedy uncle). But also, there was the information that the man standing right in front of her could have been hired by Mom.

"But how? Is it possible?" she asked herself.

And that was the first time she took a good look at him. Her self-claiming butler indeed was a handsome man. Tall, broad shouldered and with an exceptional posture. He had black hair and unusual haircut. Victoria couldn't instantly decide whether it was a good haircut or not. The best word that could describe it was - edgy. Then the eyes... Oh, the eyes! They were so alluring and dangerous. Definitely not human. Because how could a human have scarlet eyes? Deep red, scary, and yet so beautiful and divine.

"Be aware of that man!" her internal instinct was telling her...

Milady! Milady, are You alright? You seem so absent-minded? Why is that?" anxiously asked the butler.

Earth to Victoria!

"Yeah, I'm fine." she lied, "This whole thing was just too much of a shock for me, that's all." Then she continued with a fake smile (obviously, she didn't trust the man), "Could you please explain me the part where you'd said that my mother hired you?"

"But of course." he accepted sincerely, "Your mother saved my life from a sure death once and in return she wanted me to guard you till the end of time. Because of her, I'm living man and that is a reminder of my vow given to her: I shall protect you flawlessly Countess! I will never betray you or let you down!"

Having said the oath, the butler knelt in front of his Mistress and symbolically kissed her hand.