Good Night, Milady

Quiet and easy steps walked into a fashionable bedroom. They were the steps of a man with nice polished shoes, made in one of the greatest London's boutiques. It was night time, well past midnight so every step echoed more than it should have had. A wave of light summer breeze got into the room through the open terrace door and caressed the girl's cheek. She moaned about it in her sleep but carried on. The man stopped in the middle of the room to observe this cute reaction. Her small, yet sympathetic nose wiggled, making him who was holding her, smile. With her eyes closed and her pulp cherry colored lips, the girl looked so peaceful and innocent in his embrace. There was an enormous difference between her sleeping face and the angry one he encountered a few days ago; therefore he got captivated by this scene. 

"Mmm," she moaned again and leaned in closer unconsciously touching his hard chest.

Déjà vu. He sighed as his heart skipped a beat. He'd been living too long in this world and being so close to them affected him greatly. Within him, something not long ago started to evolve, something he thought he would never be capable of possessing-- emotions. Sympathy. An image of a mazarine haired boy with an eyepatch popped up in his mind. How was he now? They parted on bad terms, but the boy was still on his mind. Ciel.

"Humans are indeed an interesting kind," he finally concluded.

The way they got under your skin, and then all those sickly and fuzzy stuff had made him doubt his demon's sanity. Yes, he was a demon. A creature which was said to exist only in human's imagination and in the penny dreadful. His main weapon was the art of making deals and exploiting compromised minds to gain the thing he just like the rest of his kind valued the most-- a soul. If he was in Hell, that would be the currency.

Another deal with another master. Everything was the same but still completely different. Now he was to obey the girl and was debarred from quenching his hunger. How would that end, he didn't know.

He looked at her royal bed, which the box spring and mattress had been made of Latin American horse tail, Morroccan cashmere and specially woven silk from Japan. He was proud of his work for this was a status symbol, and his lady deserved only the best. It had also the family crest engraved; an ornamental shield with capital 'w' and family motto placed on it, then decorated with two rampant lions as supporters.

 It had also the family crest engraved; an ornamental shield with capital 'w' and family motto placed on it, then decorated with two rampant lions as supporters

"Amat Victoria Curam"  
Victory favors those who take pains.

The butler gently laid her down on the bed and covered her with a silk comforter embroidered with pink roses. Obviously recognizing that she was finally home, Victoria curled up in the fetus position, releasing a sigh of relief. He saw how her navy blue eyes slowly opened to greet him.

"Sebastian..."

"You are now safe, Milady. Please, rest."

"No. There is a thing I need to know," she fought her tiredness to speak, "What happened?"

Sebastian tried to calm her senses, "Milady, there will be plenty of time to speak about--"

"No! You don't understand. What happened to Elizabeth?" Victoria tried to shout, but the loss of strength made the voice crack.

The butler gave an appeasable smile to the girl. It intrigued him how fast she developed a connection with an unknown girl while being so cold-blooded and arrogant, "She is fine too, Milady. I invited her to be a guest of yours in the mansion, for it would be quite an amiss for her to go home at such late hour."

"So she is alright," the calmness soon afterwards regained her face.

"Yes, but what about you? Will you be able to sleep?" his concern was nothing but on a demon's behalf. A demon could only care for a human for the sake of his soul; and there was a possibility for her soul to be damaged if she continued to neglect her health. Stubbornness. Her mother had had it, and he knew he would have a problem even if she just tried to be stubborn. Her presumptuous behavior was no big deal after all.

It finally occurred to him how much Miss Victoria resembled Lillian. She had all her mother's striking features; pale skin, wavy brown hair, deep piercing eyes, although Victoria's were blue while Lillian's had been green. She had it all: a tiny waist and long legs. Then, this personality. They were proud and bossy women, that mother and daughter, and to be in their company you  had to show that you're worthy of them. This, of course, was of no importance for Sebastian, but it would him a headache in future. Though, he was a demon he suffered from a common human flaw- vanity, the lack of appreciation and admiration and the one thing he desired more than a good, tasty soul was to be accepted by this human girl.

Sebastian would never forget the night he met Lillian Wolfe. That freezing New Year's Eve and the ankle-deep snow. The cunning woman, who despised him with all her being, had set up a goal in her mind: to save her young, beating the demon in his own little game. She was the first that ever had the guts to do that, and the first to succeed in it. Somewhere deep inside him, the butler understood her sacrifice and even admired her; but that was somewhere, deep inside him.

 "Well, I will be," Victoria interrupted his thoughts. Then she made a short pause to reach for correct words, "And thank you, Sebastian, for saving my life. I see now I was wrong about you, please forgive me."

"You are welcome, Milady."

 He made the last conversation before leaving her bedroom. "So, you finally trust me? Does that mean your Ladyship will hire me back? he teased her, barely hiding his churlish smile.

"We'll see," Victoria chuckled, "Good night, Sebastian."

" Good night, Milady."

Lillian had never thanked him, nor anyone else.