Losing Grace

A full week had passed since Sebastian left the mansion. Apart from that, nothing interesting happened at Wolfe Household. The girl, for some unknown reason, just wouldn't hire the servants and insisted on living in a great mansion completely alone. Being a countess, she couldn't afford that kind of attitude. Also, 'that kind of attitude' included doing chores, cooking and mostly, talking with unworthy people. As her wickedness had been increasing on an everyday basis, the London's crème de la crème gossiped her more.

The latest mortifying gossip was, believe it or not, about the young Countess talking to a crow in Green Park. She was sitting on a bench feeding pigeons when the bird flew down from a nearby tree. Afterwards, if the source was correct, the Countess began a nonchalant talk to it. This rumour spread like wildfire through high English society and echoed even more than the previous gossip, which was about the Countess addressing to a peasant girl. The reputation of the young Countess was hastily decreasing and her sanity had been questioned.

***

The coachman opened the window of the carriage and initiated a brief conversation with its occupants.

"Really? Are you certain, Elliot?" asked a lady from the carriage.

"Yes Ma'am, one hundred per cent."

"Let me see!" said the woman and peered through the carriage window so she could witness it with her own eyes.

It was the Marquess Francis Midford, one of the highly respectful ladies of London's society and the wife of the Leader of the British Knights, Alexis Leon Midford. She was known as the biggest blabbermouth among all elderly aristocrat ladies. Due to her sharp tongue and the ability to make scandals, many people feared her.
She was a large woman, big-boned, with round face and healthy red cheeks. Unobtrusively dressed in a grey robe, with a neat ballerina bun, the Marquess showed how a lady in age can still look ravishing.

"You're absolutely right, Elliot! That is her!" exclaimed the lady.

"Look at this my dear Lizzy, it's the late Countess Wolfe's daughter! Oh, such a shame! Lady Lillian didn't deserve this. There is no trace of grace or nobility in this girl and she's probably not very much older than you."

"Oh Mother, please!" begged her beautiful child, "So what if she's talking to a bird? Most people are selfish hypocrites, so turning to animals isn't that bad. I must say, I find her quite refreshing."

"Elizabeth Cordelia Midford! Watch your words. You are on a very, very thin ice here, young lady!" Lady Francis scolded her.

"Like it or not Mother, I shall introduce myself to her," announced Elizabeth.

After giving it some thought, the Marquess consented, "Alright, an acquaintance with a countess wouldn't do any harm."

"Oh Mother, you see in everything your personal gain." complained Elizabeth and made her move to the Countess.